Colorado

how much should I let my girls out of the coop during this super cold day? Will they be smart enough to go back into the coop if they get cold?

Mine will refuse to go out if it is too cold, but that is usually 20 or below. They will go back inside if it is too cold. However, I don't trust my Silkie babies to have much sense at this point so they are staying in until it warms up a bit. Mommy might not mind the cold and they will still follow her and don't like to be out of eyesight of her. :rolleyes:

how much should I let my girls out of the coop during this super cold day? Will they be smart enough to go back into the coop if they get cold?

Mine are a bunch of idiots who seem to like being cold/wet. At least in my opinion anyway. I freeze just looking at them when they're outside in the snow or rain. I'll probably let mine out here in the next half hour or so and then let them decide when to go to bed. The forecast doesn't look like there will be anymore snow or rain for us.

Mine are a bunch of idiots who seem to like being cold/wet. At least in my opinion anyway. I freeze just looking at them when they're outside in the snow or rain. I'll probably let mine out here in the next half hour or so and then let them decide when to go to bed. The forecast doesn't look like there will be anymore snow or rain for us.

I let mine out as soon as I saw it lightening up outside this morning, when I went out to open their doors and bring them fresh water and their FF. It was 27 degrees. They did not hesitate to leave the enclosure and start foraging. They had some fun chasing a Magpie who dropped in for some leftover scratch on the ground outside their run, and did not show the slightest indication they were cold. Tough girls :) As I have said before, anytime I've thought it was too cold for them to be outside, they laughed at me.

The tail feather sickles and the long hackle feathers, combined with the larger comb are the giveaway. And of course, now that he's crowing there isn't any doubt. How is his "attitude"? Most all of the EE roosters we had were jerks. Maybe it was frustration with all those cute chicks outside in the run that they couldn't associate with.......:love

I don't have ANY experience with roosters, but I think he's got a good attitude. He eats out of our hand and has never shown any aggression towards people or the other chickens. Honestly, he's always acted like one of the girls! Just recently, like the last 3 days, he's been showing flock protection. Like when 2 girls were roosting in the tree after dark he made a racket to get our attention. Once we responded he quieted right down. And last night the girls were in a tizzy over the snow and stayed out later than usual and he stayed out with them and was the last one in the coop. :) Yesterday he was chasing a couple of pullets with "intent" but they weren't having it and one actually challenged him (never seen our chickens fight before!). After a handful of lunges at each other he just walked off. LOL He went to his new home last night. He is to be THE rooster to 9 pullets. Lucky guy!

Just got home from church. Got a roast into the oven then went out to collect eggs and check on things. All the chickens were outside doing their thing. I went into the coop. 5 eggs, no chickens in there. all outside. The chicken door stays open 24/7 unless it gets below 0*. They go in and out as they please. None of them even remotely seem cold. This morning, a couple were out, while the rest were inside looking out the door. Pretty comical. Yesterday while it was extremely windy, about 1/2 were inside the coop while the others were outside. Given the opportunity, they will do what they need and go where they need to go, generally speaking.

I don't have ANY experience with roosters, but I think he's got a good attitude. He eats out of our hand and has never shown any aggression towards people or the other chickens. Honestly, he's always acted like one of the girls! Just recently, like the last 3 days, he's been showing flock protection. Like when 2 girls were roosting in the tree after dark he made a racket to get our attention. Once we responded he quieted right down. And last night the girls were in a tizzy over the snow and stayed out later than usual and he stayed out with them and was the last one in the coop.
smile.png
Yesterday he was chasing a couple of pullets with "intent" but they weren't having it and one actually challenged him (never seen our chickens fight before!). After a handful of lunges at each other he just walked off. LOL He went to his new home last night. He is to be THE rooster to 9 pullets. Lucky guy!
I've got two great roosters, one little b*stard and a couple in the garage that haven't really shown me who they are yet. The one in my avatar (Silver) used to be a big sweetie, now he's pretty indifferent to me. He doesn't attack me, but he doesn't like being picked up anymore. He calms down as soon as you get him, but he's going to run for his life before you catch him. Little man is an *****, but he's a tiny silkie who is only half serious when he attacks and doesn't have any force when he does. Mr. Fluffybutt is a gentleman, he attacks Little man whenever Little man attacks me. Otherwise, I've never seen him be aggressive.

I have a naked neck in the garage who is just beautiful, but I think he might be a butthead in training. I can't wear one of my pairs of sandals around him because he attacks my feet when I do. Other sandals are fine, shoes are fine, it's just this one pair. Man is his beak sharp! Other than that, he follows me around. I've been paying him extra attention since the sandal attacking started hoping to tame him a bit. I want to use him to breed more naked necks and possibly show girls.

I have several Bantam Cochins available, all hatched in July.  I just posted an ad on CL, but you can see more here:

http://coopacabanacochins.weebly.com/available-birds.html

I would like to rehome them as soon as possible.  Thanx for looking.

(I am located in the West Metro Denver area.)

Very pretty birds! I hope you find good homes for them soon. If I had any room at all right now... But I think DH would be Highly Disappointed if I brought home another pullet. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom