colored chics

You could also give them permenantly colored real easter eggs. For one, if you have an Auracana hen, they lay eggs in greens and pinks. Or take white eggs, poke small holes in each end, insert a long pin or peice of wire and break the yolk and scramble the egg while it's still in the shell. Then blow into one of the holes and the white and yolk will start coming out of the other hole. Don't squeeze the egg while you do this. It may be difficult but it will work. If you have trouble getting the yolk to come out, stick the pin into the bottom hole while you blow into the top hole.

When you get all the white and yolk blown out of the egg, mix a weak solution of rubbing alcohol and water in a bowl. Put one end of the empty egg into the water with the other hole out of the water. Let in fill atleast 1/4 the way with the solution. (You may have to poke the needle into the top hole the break the air bubble and the egg will fill slowly.) Hole your fingers over the holes and shake the egg to rinse out the inside. Then blow the solution out as you did before.

Dry the egg with a paper towel. Now you have a perfectly empty, preservable egg shell that you can paint, dye, decorate or whatever!!

they're are lots of different down colors of baby chicks. one of my favorites is blues. mix the colors. cornishman.

i will make them little carriers out of pop cycle sticks and paint them a diff color and give them to my neices an nephew

robinh, what an excellent idea! And they will always treasure the little carriers you made for them!
You go, girl!!
cool.png

Many people don't know this, but the chicks are colored while still in the egg. The coloring agent is injected into the shell not long before the chicks hatch, causing the down to be colored.

I still see them occasionally around here, mostly in the feed stores, but I don't like to get them. I never thought of the coloring cruel, but the handling of them that usually ended in the chick's death. It's like they're sold as disposable chickens.
sad.png

thanks for all the input guys/gals, i really appreciate it, and the bandannas is such a cute idea!! and thanks for letting me see that coloring the chics was a really stupid idea to start with!

Back
Top Bottom