Colored Easter Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by screager312, Nov 30, 2011.

1. screager312

screager312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Mission
    I know Easter is a few months away. I am just curious if any hatchery or farm or anyone will be selling the colored Easter chicks next Easter? I know a lot of people are against it and it is illegal in some states.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's actually illegal to sell in most states, because it encourages impulse buying of the chicks, which leads to animal cruelty.

I do know that you can get eggs that have been injected with dye (which later leads to colored chicks). I'm not sure if those type of hatching eggs are illegal to sell in the US.

Something that you may want to consider, however, is dipping your babies into warm Kool-Aide. This is a safe dye for chickens. Just be very careful not to let them get chilled during the process, and dry them off thoroughly afterwards.

3. screager312

screager312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Mission
    I will check into dipping in kool aid.

I did contact Ideal Poultry and they said they no longer will sell them dyed.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    As previously stated it is going to be illegal in most states. However, you can still look into your states laws regarding this. I agree that Kool Aid is a much better alternative.

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Or you could do what I accidentally did. I put blue food coloring in my bator so I could more easily see the water level. It worked great for that. However the bad news is it also dyed my chicks. They were temporarily tinted green because their yellow feathers soaked up the blue dye. It never occurred to me that they would soak up the blue water from the bator. I now understand better the concept of humidity within the developing egg. Of course it didn't last long but it was disappointing to see what I had done to my poor little ones.

6. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I think most of the places that used to sell dyed chicks were just selling male leghorn chicks anyway. Make sure if you do the kool-aid thing that you don't add the sugar- that would make them really sticky!

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Lol would that officially make them Peeps?

8. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Quote:Lol would that officially make them Peeps?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by