"Colored egg layer"? ...Ameraucauna, maybe?

Sunshyne276

Songster
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Richlands, Virginia
I was told this one is a "colored egg layer" type chicken. I am assuming Ameraucauna?

am1.jpg

Those kind are very rare, so probably not (lucky you if it is though!!! lol) But it definately is a bantam breed. nearly all bantams are marked just like that when they are chicks, then sprout all sorts of colors as they get older!
smile.png
it's a cute little thing! and is very likely to lay colored eggs.
wink.png

I have a chick that looks like that, who hatched out of a full size blue egg. I'm suprised to see someone say it is a bantam due to the coloring though. I expect mine to be a regular sized EE.

This chick looks like the typical chipmunky Easter Egger, and I don't think it's necessarily a bantam. I have two like this that are standard sized. I love them!

My EEs looked like that as chicks, too. Mine aren't bantams, either. One turned out brown with black lacing and solid black feathers and the other turned out black with red lacing. I get blue-green eggs from them. Can't wait to see what yours ends up looking like.
smile.png

Half the breeds out there look like that as babies!
tongue.png
Pretty typical for EEs, which is probably what you got. Unless you got it from a breed and paid more than a few dollars, it's an EE.
Bantam is just a size, not a breed. If a bantam looks like that, then the full size version will, too.

ameraucanas aren't really that rare, but it is a little tricky to make sure you get a true one and not an EE.....

i've seen them in both bantam and large fowl size....

i just got golden phoenix and they look like that too... there are a few breeds that have racing stripes on the chicks... in fact, my partridge silkies had psuedo stripes....

and i wouldn't say most bantams look like that either... i have about 20 bantams chicks in my bathroom right now, and not a single one has racing stripes... i do however have another large fowl EE chick or two that look like that.. i need to quit hatching them.. lol...

but as far as your colored egg layer type, assume you have an EE.... the county fair out here had about 20 entries labeled Araucana or Ameraucana or some variation of the spellings, and having done a LOT of research on true Araucana, which leads you to learn the Ameraucanas, i can tell you not a singe one of those birds was true and no where near show standards... lol... but that's what happens when people who don't research get birds labeled something... then breed them and sell the chicks as something they are not and it spreads from there....

when i bought my EE, they were labeled Araucana..... i knew that was one of the breeds with the blue egg gene so i got 7 and brought them home.... got online and started looking and reading more, and within an hour i knew what i had wasn't what i was told i had... but no matter, i just wanted the pretty eggs... out of the 7, 1 was a roo, 2 lay a terracotta pinky egg, 1 lays a very nice blue, and 3 lay greens....

Thanks all! I honestly don't care what they turn out to be (have two of them).
big_smile.png

"Easter Eggers", Americaunas, Golden Phoenix, little Bantams or big chickens! lol
Golden Phoenix would be nice, but doubtful, i'm guessing "Easter Eggers" is probably it.

Thanks again!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom