Colored eggs

Chickens don’t lay these colors, sorry.
I’ve raised them years ago. Their eggs were really pretty colors and I guess that because they didn’t lay as well as some other breeds, they weren’t used often for egg production. They came from Privett Hatchery in New Mexico. They no longer carry those chicks. I’d like to find some of them again. Other old timers that used to have them have since retired. I hope there’s still a source for them.

I can't help you but I wish you luck in your search! I remember my uncle talking about birds like this back in the day. I guess they fell out of popularity

I bought them from a New Mexico hatchery. I’ve contacted them since but they now carry a line of easter eggers that are bred for bright blue eggs.
The easter eggers that laid many pastel colors were also sold in the midwest. A friend of mine had some but the hatchery he used changed to a new supplier and the new easter egger line was producing strictly blue eggs.
This is really interesting!! I wish they still had those breeds!!

Out of curiosity, where did you hear about all the different pastel colors?
The internet, word of mouth, and old catalog?
I had some of those chickens. They laid lots of pastel colored eggs. I bought the chicks from Privetts in New Mexico. That was about 25 years ago. I called them a few times since but they have a different supplier for their easter eggers and that line of chickens is being bred for blue only. I took eggs frequently to the school where I taught and hatched them. I just havent been able to find anyone in this area who raises them these days.

Out of curiosity, where did you hear about all the different pastel colors?
The internet, word of mouth, and old catalog?
I bought them from Privetts in New Mexico. They dont carry them any more. That was about 25 years ago. They laid many pastel colored eggs.
I cant find any people around here that still raise them and I havent been able to find a hatchery that carries them.

The Original Easter Eggers from late 1930s and Early 1940s laid those kind of colors, I have not seen them since last 30 years, these old type EEs were closely related to the native Quetro and Olmec fowls that have the colors you mention, as these birds where outcross to North American birds they lost those colored eggs. Here is the info on the feathersite about colored eggs https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rapa/BRKRapanui.html

Last edited:
The Original Easter Eggers from late 1930s and Early 1940s laid those kind of colors, I have not seen them since last 30 years, these old type EEs were closely related to the native Quetro and Olmec fowls that have the colors you mention, as these birds where outcross to North American birds they lost those colored eggs. Here is the info on the feathersite about colored eggs https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rapa/BRKRapanui.html
Thanks! This info is interesting!

Ah! Thank you for this!

Back
Top Bottom