Colored Range Broilers (Freedom Rangers) processed at 12 weeks

UncleHoot

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
St. Johns, Michigan
They dressed right about where I expected: 4 to 6.5 lbs. The cockerels dressed around 5 to 6.5 lbs and the pullets 4 to 5 lbs. So, at 12 weeks, they dressed at about the same weight as I would expect a cornish cross at 7 to 8 weeks.

I cut up a couple of the small ones, and we're planning to "Fry Magic" it tonight, along with home-grown mashed potatoes and buttered noodles.
smile.png

My overall impression: They are much more healthy and active than cornish cross, and can even fly (although I never really gave them a chance). Some of the cockerels were beautiful chickens. (Shown here at 9 weeks)
frroo1.jpg

they are lovely and i am sure, tasty! i cannot wait until spring to order mine!

let us know how that fry magic, potatoes and noodles taste! man, now i want chicken!

I'm getting 3.0 to 4.5 at 9.5/10 weeks, so they track just right.

I enjoy the meat bird raising experience immensely more because of these birds. Gorgeous creatures. I always grant clemensy to two or three from each batch to join my layer flock.

Uncle Hoot, what are you feeding your color range birds. Mine dressed out way lower than I thought they would, but in line with what JM Hatchery says they should be around. Seems everyone is getting higher weights than what I got. Mine were 3.2 average with the biggest just over 4 and the smallest about 2.25. Looking at them alive I would have thought they would have been heavier.

How does the Ranger compare in food consumption with the XCross? The Ranger is around a month longer, so the assumption is that they cost more to raise, but could be they don't eat as "hardy" as the XCross.

Thanks
Brad

Quote:
Interesting. Someone else said they had 3+ at 6 weeks so I was feeling like I was doing something wrong. My heavier birds were 1 and a bit at 4 or 5 week (I'd have to check m y blog) and your weights sound more like a reasonable goal for me. I'm not WORRIED -- I'm sure they'll be plenty big enough for my needs either way. But I'm only a single person, I don't have a family to feed.

I enjoy the meat bird raising experience immensely more because of these birds. Gorgeous creatures.

I can't explain it, but I'm having SO much fun without getting attached. See all of pics in My Family for proof
wink.png

I always grant clemensy to two or three from each batch to join my layer flock.

How well do they lay? Is it worth my time? I won't get eggs from my unfeathered birds for a Long Long time, but these guys are going on six weeks, so I could see eggs before spring, couldn't I?​

Quote:
Interesting. Someone else said they had 3+ at 6 weeks so I was feeling like I was doing something wrong. My heavier birds were 1 and a bit at 4 or 5 week (I'd have to check m y blog) and your weights sound more like a reasonable goal for me. I'm not WORRIED -- I'm sure they'll be plenty big enough for my needs either way. But I'm only a single person, I don't have a family to feed.

That was probably me---I have had mine on 28% turkey starter, and I think that probably has a big effect on their weight. Also, Mine didnt really get to start free-ranging until 3 weeks, so up until that point they hadn't been burning off too many calories running aorund. If yours have been outside from early on, that may have something to do with why they are smaller. There is a HUGE disparity in size in mine though- I have some real monsters, and some that just dont seem to grow at all-at 9 weeks, average is 5-6 lbs, with some nearly a pound more, and others closer to the 3 lb mark. Can't really say what is causing such a big variance, but I am ok with it since my customers all have different needs for teh size of bird they want-should be able to accomodate everyone.

Quote:
Ohhh, good to know.

Also, Mine didnt really get to start free-ranging until 3 weeks, so up until that point they hadn't been burning off too many calories running aorund. If yours have been outside from early on, that may have something to do with why they are smaller.

Nope, just started less than a week ago.

There is a HUGE disparity in size in mine though- I have some real monsters, and some that just dont seem to grow at all-at 9 weeks, average is 5-6 lbs, with some nearly a pound more, and others closer to the 3 lb mark.

Oh! I didn't realize that. I don't think I have any of the tricolors, just the reddish and blonde ones, does that matter?​

Unclehoot, mine dressed out the same, spent most of their time in the barn and
were fed a 26% protein broiler feed. They ranged a little but not much.

I can't wait for the next batch.

Back
Top Bottom