Colored Rangers..processing results at 13 weeks.

I processed 5 of the K-22s this morning. After 13 weeks they processed out at 3#, 4#, 2 @ 4.25# , and 5#.

Given the sizes that I read about the RedBros from JM Hatchery I have to agree that these may not be the same birds.

GOD I AM JEALOUS!!!! i need to find a processor here in central FL! How did you find one? i have a meat shop locally but i never thought to go in and ask~

Quote:
Did you take any pics of the birds before processing? What did you feed them?

When I got my Rangers last summer two other BYC member took some. I raised mine in my barn with 26% broiler and a few hours a day of ranging. PP raised her's in a tractor with a lower protein feed and hers were 30% smaller than mine. Moodusnewchick raised hers in a completely free range environment and hers were around 20% smaller than mine.

Sillystunt - I process mine myself. I built a plucker, use milk jugs as killing cones, etc.

Purple Chicken - I fed mine organic 21% protein feed from Morrison's here in VT and had them in a tractor with CXs for the first 8 wks and then alone or the next 5. I generally fed them 24/7 or so the last 5 weeks after 12/12 with the CX. I didn't take any photos but they looked very similar to the RedBro photos I've seen here.

Overall, I'm sticking with CX in the future (30 CX chicks came yesterday) and will keep them in a tractor with the same 21% feed.

Quote:
Call your local extension office. They should be able to tell you where the nearby processors are.

Quote:
LOL.. Too funny.. I emailed Ellen and asked if she had her birds there as I saw the colored range , I didnt' know you had your bird there also.. Cuz I took my 40 in.. LOL So BYC owned Wilcox's that day.. too funny.

Shelly, I am going to try some of these birds next year also.. Lemme know if you wanna order together for a cheaper rate.. I like to order from a hatchery as close to home as possible though. I'll be doing 50 of the Cornish and 50 of the colored rangers..

Quote:
Call your local extension office. They should be able to tell you where the nearby processors are.

Ok, i am about to pull out the stupid....what is an extension office? gosh, i am sorry~
ashamed0005.gif

Quote:

Ok, i am about to pull out the stupid....what is an extension office? gosh, i am sorry~ http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/ashamed/ashamed0005.gif

Here in Michigan the "Extension Office" if a extension of Michigan State University. There is an extension office in most (all?) Michigan counties. They are the goto people for the 4-H kids, soil testing, master gardening coarses, and agriculture questions. If you wanted to know about raising poultry, starting a berry patch, making maple syrup they are the people to call. They offer all sorts of brochures and info plus lots of clinics and classes through the year.

Back
Top Bottom