Colored Sebastopal Geese - New Photos

In geese, I have read that blues come from crossing white geese with buffs. The blue color is not attributed to one gene; it result of a cross: blue to a blue breeding can produce any number of color combination's. I am breeding a gray goose to a blue gander and have NO clue what I'll get! The eggs MP has from me are white goose/gray gander.
They SHOULD be color sexed, gray females and splash, (or remote possibility, a white) males.

Here is the blue gander I bought from Holderreads. Notice the lack of dark feathers of the blue. I bought the blue this year as a mate for Zoey.
goslings298-1.jpg

Here is Zoey who is gray and the sister of MP"S eggs. If MP gets a gray it should look like this.
goslings192.jpg

To complicate things further, this holds true for European geese which are
the ancestor of the Greylag goose, but not for the Asiatic geese(Chinese, African) which are the ancestor of the Swan goose. Steinbacher geese will breed true, i.e blue to blue=blue. That is because it is believed that they have Chinese cross in their background. Are you thoroughly confused now? I am!
hu.gif

I am trying very hard to learn about the colors but until I can see it for myself I have trouble seeing the difference in blue and grey coloring. Chickens I can do. Blue is easy. Geese - not so much for me. lol

It doesn't help that everyone's monitors are prob dif to! Look at the primaries on the pic of the blue's-they are pale in comparison to the gray's,
Their heads are the same color.

Yes, today is day 24. The first 4 colored sebs are due this weekend. I candled last night while they did the cool down. Every egg is full and dark. Tiny movements. I am on pins and needles. This is the very first hatch in my new Dickey. To be honest, I bought the Dickey for the purpose of hatching goose eggs this year. Everybody send good vibes to Va.
fl.gif

Everything has been completely uneventful in this incubation. No spikes, no humidity issues. The Dickey has run like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom