Colored Sebastopal Geese - New Photos

Quote:
I am so excited for you!!! I can't wait to be in your position and missprissy's too...I am 6 days away from that...and I am so scared something will go wrong from here to there...at night me and my boy pray "please let the geese eggs hatch "
smile.png

Please keep us posted...

Quote:
I am like going crazy because I feel like I am the only one later than everyone else...but banter has some on the same day as me....please tell us everything
pop.gif

Quote:
I have checked some at day 5 and saw no veins...but I saw a speck following the yolk when I turned it....I would still wait until day 10...I ended up throwing one out at day 10 because the others had veins and it didn't....how many eggs did you buy? Maybe if you open them on day 10 and take pics of the yolk..you can ask ppl on here if they look fertilized or not....some know how to tell by looking at a dot on the yolk whether its been fertilized...then after getting some answers on here....politely tell the seller and see if maybe they'll just send you a few more...especially if none were fertile...and show the seller pics...because its one thing if they died....but its another if they were unfertile and maybe he/she will help you out....

still.....wait until day 10 before you do anything

You cannot be impatient and candle these eggs early. Handling them and turning them and jostling to get the light just right to see will cause damage to the embryo trying to develop. More damage is done in the early stages by over anxious hatchers than any other time.

Quote:
This is flaming and wrong not to mention rude. We don't flame on this forum. A shipped eggs is a hatch at your own risk undertaking. No one can promise an egg will develop. No one can promise a developed egg will hatch.

Inexperienced goose egg hatchers need to give these eggs time to develop to at least day 10 before even trying to candle. Also they need to be left alone. No handling whatsoever. Goose eggs are probably the worst about being bacteria ridden on the outside as geese prefer to bury their nests in muck and mud. Handling the eggs not only transfers bacteria from your hands onto the shell it also forces bacteria already on the shells deeper into the pores of the eggs.

If you are not willing to take the risk on a shipped egg then don't buy them. An egg that does not develop does not indicate infertility. The viablity of an egg can be easily compromised niot only during shipping but by mishandling from inexperienced hands.

I have only hatched shipped goose eggs.

The trick is knowing how to handle what you have. After much learning last year I have a few of my own idea that tend to work for me.

I sand dirty eggs lightly with very fine sandpaper to clean them.

I put them in a sterelized incubator and don't touch it for at least 4 days.

When I mist and candle I never put my hands on them. If I have to touch them I make sure I have scrubbed up well and handle them the least amount as possible.

Turning an egg too quickly when trying to candle can cause the little embryo to rupture. Candling too early and you'll never know for sure that it wasn't you that did the damage.

Shipped eggs is always a risk. I am willing to risk it. I have a sebbie that needs a wife. I am doing all that is my power to give him one. The only time I put my hands on my eggs was to take them out of the box, to put them in the incubator and to move them to the hatcher tray.

I am as impatient as the next person. I want to look and candle repeatedly but that doesn't make for a good environment for the baby inside there.

The biggest rule is - hands off as much as possible.

Quote:
LOL and Awwww. I think we are all holding your hand. 116 posts worth of hand holding going on here!!
pop.gif

I have a neighbor with 10 Holderreads show quality sebastopols. He is not interested in hatching eggs. last week he brought me 12 of his sebbie eggs!!! this morning he brought me 15 eggs!!
OMG if all these hatch I'll be offering a 2 fer one sale!!!

Last edited:
People around here seem to think geese are an oddity. I don't get it. Geese are the biggest kept secret around. People have no clue how awesome they are and the diverse purposes they can serve.

Back
Top Bottom