Colour genetics

KC8

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2023
This sweet girl was dumped at our place and we have slowly integrated her into our flock (she free ranges with them but doesn't sleep in the coop) she has been running around with the nasty little polish rooster from next door. He was sold last weekend (yay) and today I discovered her in our old unused garden shed on 22 eggs ..... oops

I candled them and around 18 look like they are about 2 weeks along. She now has a nice warm nest box in there and food and water nearby. We are going to build her a little coop for now to keep them safe and go from there.

So a few questions please

1. Any idea on what she might be a cross of.

2. Does the rooster look pure-bred? The owners brought him as pure but not sure they minded much

3. Do polish crosses end up with a crest or not? Or just random being crossed?

4. What colour possibilities are expected from a cross like this?
We haven't decided yet if we will sell the chick's unsexed very young or I'm betting we wait and keep the pullets.
Either way the mum Waffles will stay with us 🥰

Going to be a bunch of odd looking babies but im glad they are safe with us
20230924_140211-01.jpeg
20230924_142744-01.jpeg

Resized_20230813_123856-01-01.jpeg

She is probably a mix of mixes, might have red sexlink in there though.
2. Does the rooster look pure-bred? The owners brought him as pure but not sure they minded much
He might be a mix of Polish varieties, not sure.
Yes
Blue and black and paint and blue paint with lots of gold or cream leakage.

That hen is beautifully colored

1) Maybe a sexlink mix? I'm not good with mixes that aren't hatched by me though
2)eh..... he stands a bit low for a pure polish, bit that could just be how hes positioned for the photo
3) if the polish is purebred, then he will pass 1 gene to every baby. If he isn't and only has 1 gene himself, roughly half will get a gene and half will not
4) lots of black or dalmatian looking babies would be my guess

She is probably a mix of mixes, might have red sexlink in there though.
He might be a mix of Polish varieties, not sure.
Yes
Blue and black and paint and blue paint with lots of gold or cream leakage.
Thank you! I will be interesting to see how they turn out. Didn't realise the crest was dominant.
A few different colours would be great. I just assumed black was dominant and they'd all be fairly similar. Fingers crossed a few have lots of leakage as if we keep some girls as pets fun colours would be nice

That hen is beautifully colored

1) Maybe a sexlink mix? I'm not good with mixes that aren't hatched by me though
2)eh..... he stands a bit low for a pure polish, bit that could just be how hes positioned for the photo
3) if the polish is purebred, then he will pass 1 gene to every baby. If he isn't and only has 1 gene himself, roughly half will get a gene and half will not
4) lots of black or dalmatian looking babies would be my guess
Thank you!! I'm hoping we might get lucky and have something other than mostly blacks. Thinking we might keep some of the pullets. This is a better side photo of the rooster the day he was sold (sale yards)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1695535932311-01.jpeg
    FB_IMG_1695535932311-01.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 12
Thank you!! I'm hoping we might get lucky and have something other than mostly blacks. Thinking we might keep some of the pullets. This is a better side photo of the rooster the day he was sold (sale yards)
He is a bit short legged but to me he has the station and crest of a Polish, so I think he is pure. Hatchery birds can have some variation.

He is a bit short legged but to me he has the station and crest of a Polish, so I think he is pure. Hatchery birds can have some variation.
Thank you. He has had some nice babies for my neighbour with their poilsh hens so hoping he has nice mixes with Waffles 😊

My Polish crosses always had small combs.

Your hen looks like my Wyandotte chick, who after some research seems to be Pyle or White Partridge.

Your hen appears to not be able to cover all of those eggs. Might want to remove some that aren't developing or you will have a staggered hatch at best, or quitters at worst.

Attachments

• 20230925_183435.jpg
    20230925_183435.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 7
My Polish crosses always had small combs.

Your hen looks like my Wyandotte chick, who after some research seems to be Pyle or White Partridge.

Your hen appears to not be able to cover all of those eggs. Might want to remove some that aren't developing or you will have a staggered hatch at best, or quitters at worst.
Beautiful chick!!!

Thank you, this was when I first moved the eggs to a safe clean nest box. She's now sorted herself and got them all covered 🥰

Beautiful chick!!!

Thank you, this was when I first moved the eggs to a safe clean nest box. She's now sorted herself and got them all covered 🥰
Oh good! It's amazing how much they can pancake over a big clutch. I've had a poor hatch in the past though with too many so thought I'd flag it up.

Back
Top Bottom