Colourful and Unusual Chicken Eggs!

Turns out that big egg was a double yolker :)
2EB83663-9C6C-4B90-996B-CD6B63C2A500.jpeg

The egg yolks were huge too!

Here is my first EVER egg. It's from my araucana-white leghorn cross. Her sister lays one just the same (just a day later). Now there's just another 10 more girls to start laying - although they may be a few weeks away. I have an assortment - splash australorp, 2 RIR, barred rock, buff sussex, a wyandotte-x, 2 black sex link, a polish-australorp-x and of course, a silkie! These girls make me smile everyday and I can't wait to see what they bring to the egg basket.

FB_IMG_3495693657923822591.jpg

I'm still waiting on last year's batch hatched in May. I expect them to start here in the next month or two. They don't generally lay very much, or consistently.
Mine didn’t start laying until she was 11 months old, just a few weeks ago. She lays nice large eggs very consistently, every 2 days. My BO is barely laying at all since winter came but I read that Barnevelders will lay all winter.

Mine didn’t start laying until she was 11 months old, just a few weeks ago. She lays nice large eggs very consistently, every 2 days. My BO is barely laying at all since winter came but I read that Barnevelders will lay all winter.
Mine generally don't lay all winter, so far none of mine of various ages are laying, and they lay in sporadic spurts, taking lots of breaks. I keep them for their beauty. If I had to rely on their eggs I would be very sorry. They are long lived and gentle birds, and when you get a nice dark egg it's worth the wait.

Here is my first EVER egg. It's from my araucana-white leghorn cross. Her sister lays one just the same (just a day later). Now there's just another 10 more girls to start laying - although they may be a few weeks away. I have an assortment - splash australorp, 2 RIR, barred rock, buff sussex, a wyandotte-x, 2 black sex link, a polish-australorp-x and of course, a silkie! These girls make me smile everyday and I can't wait to see what they bring to the egg basket.

View attachment 1641875
You should drain and save your first egg. I did with my geese and my first hen. Once you drain it, it could still attack flies so cover the place you drain with something like a tiny piece of paper and cover it with clear nail polish.

You should drain and save your first egg. I did with my geese and my first hen. Once you drain it, it could still attack flies so cover the place you drain with something like a tiny piece of paper and cover it with clear nail polish.
This is a thing?:eek:
This is a thing!:barnie
Wish I had known.:hit

Back
Top Bottom