1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Columbian Maran Project

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cgallamo, Dec 27, 2012.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    what about crossing a white Marans with a non-Aussie srrain of Light Sussex. Both have white legs. Both have dual purpose fowl body structure. Sussex is at least a light brown egg layer and egg color could be retrieved by inbreeding back to the Marans. Aussie Light Sussex are way to different in body type for French Marans. US strains would work.
    Karen

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    is best to cross a Light sussex to a wheaten maran. and keep crossing back to wheaten maran. BUT if the white maran are recessive white indeed. then we just dont know the genetic make up of them. the white can be hidding many genes

3. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Couldn't you just use a Co/Co black tail buff marans and breed towards white? That way you would at least be staying within the Marans breed. ???

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Black Tailed Buff Maran roosters are just that, Black Tailed. they are not Columbian Buff, if they were they would look different.

here is a description on black tailed buffs. source http://www.papspoultry.com/blacktailedbuffmarans.htm

" All plumage except tail is uniform buff, ranging from a light shade to a deep reddish shade. Tail is primarily black, but feathers may have brown edging.

they have the incorrect columbian restrictors and the incorrect e allele

5. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Ah yes, you are correct. I didn't think about the e allele difference between a true buff columbian and a black tail buff.

6. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Light Sussex is the same genetically as a Columbian Marans. eWh/eWh S/S Co/Co . You could cross a Light Sussex with White Marans. However, you want to incorperate S/S from the Sussex, not White from the Marans. The problems are the feathered legs and egg color issues. Except for those two things, the Marans and the Sussex are basically the same type of bird, just from different countries. Dual-Purpose barnyard fowl.
    Best.
    Karen
    Waterford English Light Sussex
    western PA, USA

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  7. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Quote: I have been looking around. There is a breeder called Waltz's Ark in Colorado. (website) He has a line of Canadian Sussex ( raised naturally) with breed type, quite correct for Sussex, which will translate real well to Marans. Nice deep keel. Cross it with one of Ernie Haire's Wheaten Sussex which also have superb Marans breed type. Build the barn first , then paint it. Breed as nicalandia said earlier. Waltz's Ark is in the high mountains, therefore their breeding season starts late. They are now selling chicks and started birds like everyone else was doing in Feb./March/April.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  8. cowman1970

cowman1970 Out Of The Brooder

I have a flock of Splash, Blue, Blue Copper, Black, and Black Coppers in a mixed pen. I've managed to hatch about half a dozen Columbians that came thru.

9. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Quote: Where are the Columbian coming from? Splash x Black Copper?
    Best,
    Karen

10. cowman1970

cowman1970 Out Of The Brooder

I haven't been able to figure that out just yet. On occasion I have some Wheaten and Cuckoo coming thru. I need to do a bit more research. My stock came from 3 different breeders here in Pa.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by