Columbian Rock Cross-Genetics?

Cindy in PA

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Several hatcheries (Mt. Healthy, HealthyChicksandmore) sell a RIR/Columbian Rock Cross. They are a RIR female with CR male. I have limited knowledge of genetics from HS biology, but why do the girls show the Columbian pattern & the males are columbian with brown/red wash in places? I take it columbian is dominate also. Is this a sex linked chicken? I would think not, as they wouldn't be different enough at hatch to be easy to tell. Has anyone ever had these chickens? They are supposed to be good egg layers & docile chickens. Why doesn't someone just sell a hatchery Columbian Rock? If anyone has ever had them, what is the size like? Thanks.

Going by Kip's chicken calculator when you cross a Columbian rooster to a RIR hen you should get.
Females - black patterned red shoulder red/cream columbian
Males - black patterned yellow/golden columbian

There can be some color variations.
I would say the males an females will definitely be Columbian pattern because the Columbian Rock and the Rhode Island Red carry the Columbian Gene. The RIR is just a Columbian Red.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
So when they state that the female is an all black & white columbian pattern you are saying that isn't so?? That would make sense. I couldn't figure out why only the male would be washed with cream/red. So the pullet would also have to have some off coloring? I had no idea that a RIR had a columbian gene. Thanks.

Cindy:
This is a Quote from Mt. Healthy Hatchery.

Columbian Rock Cross Chickens
Produced by mating a Rhode Island Red female with a Columbian male, this robust, dual-purpose bird is know for its ability to efficiently produce eggs even in the coldest of climates. An excellent layer of cream colored brown eggs with a calm good natured disposition, this cross is a great choice for the family flock. Females are basic white with the traditional Columbian pattern of black laced across the neck and black-trimmed wing tips and tails. Males have different shades of brown mixed throughout their feathering

For the most part there right going by the chicken calculator.
Hens should be Creamish with Black in the neck, tail and some in the wing. There might be some leaking of red in the shoulders..
Roosters should be Yellow/Golden color (might look light brown in some) with Black in the neck, tail and some in the wing..

Chris​

Quote:
It would have to be the other way around to be a sex-linked..
Rhode Island Red Male over a Columbian Rock (or silver gene) female.

Chris

So Chris you are saying they are NOT sex linked? I do not really care that much for red chickens, so I thought this might be a nice hybrid. Wouldn't want any roosters. Guess I might end up with one or two in 25 anyway.

So Chris you are saying they are NOT sex linked?

Not crossed the way they are crossing them (Rhode Island Red female with a Columbian male).
To be a true Sex-linked it would have to to be Rhode Island Red Male over a Columbian Rock (or silver gene) female.

I do not really care that much for red chickens

If I could only have one breed of chicken it would be the Rhode Island Red.

so I thought this might be a nice hybrid.

It would make a good Hybrid..
Cackle Hatchery sells one similar to this cross but there's are a Delaware rooster x New Hampshire hen

Chris​

Last edited:
My chicks are Columbian Rock Cross. Has anyone already raised a few? It would be nice to know when they started laying, and how they behaved. Mine are two weeks, and are quite beautiful already. Several are still yellow. I am hoping they are just slower to develop. I can't handle too many roos!

Back
Top Bottom