Comb and wattles turning grey

thatpotteryguy

Passing as a responsible adult
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Adamstonwn, MD
I have an 18-month old Australorp hen who has stopped laying and started molting (with a vengeance - primary flight feathers everywhere). I noticed today that her comb and wattles are fading to a sort of pinkish-grey. Not in spots or lesions like fowl pox, just a general fading of color. Her sister, who has continued to lay and has not started molting, does not exhibit this fading (part of why I noticed). I'm hoping that it's no big deal, but I'm hpoing someone has some input to offer. I'm prepared to isolate her if neccessary, but since I've got 5 hens in a single tractor, I can't think that, if it were something infection, that they'd all have it.

It is normal for the comb and wattles to shrink a bit and become paler in color when a hen is not laying; especially if she is molting also.

The color will return once her molt is over and she starts laying again. That can take a couple months sometimes.

Last edited:
OK, that puts my mind at ease a little bit. This is kind of what I expected, but it's always nice to hear it from someone with more experience.

Thanks! This answers mine and Copper's question, too.
big_smile.png

This is an old thread, but i thought it better to re-open it than start a new one with the same title...! I have a three yr old cochin hen who is having the same issue, but not molting. She's eating, drinking, pooping normally. Her earlobes and secondarily wattles and spots just above her eyes are slightly swollen and turning grey. She had this same issue last winter, and i think i treated her with injectable penicillin.
I'm wondering if anyone knows what causes this? None of my other hens show any similar symptoms.
I was also wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between injectable penicillin and the penicillin in Super-Booster water soluable.
I can post pics later, thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom