Comb color changes - photo comparisons

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I take tons of pictures of my chickens, and as I was going back through them, it struck me just how much their combs and wattles change (in both color and SIZE!!!) when laying vs. not laying. I know this is usually listed as one of the ways to check if a hen/pullet is laying or not, but that might be hard to visualize, so I decided to collect some pictures and post them here side by side as a visual reference. And also because it’s fun 😁

An interesting thing I noticed is that the changes seem to vary a lot by breed. I have two breeds - English Orpingtons (of assorted colors) and Double Silver Laced Barnevelders. The Orps show the classic changes, which are very pronounced. Small and pale before point of lay and when molting, big and bright red when laying. The Barnevelders, on the other hand... Show very very subtle changes! There's barely any change in size, and the redness is only slightly more subdued now that they are molting. And the redness was always there before they started laying - bright red ever since they were young pullets. Their combs and wattles were just always bright red, until their first adult molt, so it was impossible to tell if they were close to POL by looks alone (and they were late to start, too - at 9 months old!)

So here are the pictures (laying first, then molting):

Orpingtons (check out the size difference!!!):

IMG_1805.jpg
IMG_0372.jpg

This one's comb was so big and full when she was laying, that it would flop to one side under its weight, but is small and completely upright when she's not laying:
IMG_0566.jpg
IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_9529.jpg
IMG_9953.jpg

And Barnevelders (just showing one of them, as they look very similar):

IMG_5814.jpg
IMG_0379.jpg

Check out a comparison between an Orpington and a Barnevelder at the same age, 4 months - that's 3 months before the Orpington started laying, and 5 (!!!) months before the Barnevelder started laying!

IMG_7573.jpg
IMG_7637.jpg

Last edited:
How old are they?
They'll be 14 months exactly at the end of this month. I don't think they've fully stopped laying once since they started, other than Wingsy taking a break after she was eggbound but even then I don't think her comb changed and she had stopped laying for quite a few weeks. Maybe even that wasn't long enough?

They are still young. This will be their first molting season and (possibly) first season slowing down or stopping for winter. So the changes are yet to come.
That makes sense.

Some of them seem to be losing some of their feathers in a way that I thought was molting, so I was confused why they didn't seem to slow down very much (they alternate between 6-7 eggs and 10-11 depending on the day, from 12 birds). I also wasn't expecting to get basically an egg per day from them either, though lol. It makes sense that they would likely slow down more later on. I guess I'll have to wait and see. They've definitely slowed down slightly compared to the summer.

Back
Top Bottom