Comb Concerns

Lavender6

Songster
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
Hello,
I have a bit of a concern about one of my Barred Rock. She and her sister was added to my flock of 5 orpingtons about 3 1/2 months ago. They will be a year in april. We had a run in with red mites, lice and parasites. After much work and money it is under control. I worked diligently for 2 months straight. No scratching, and will freely go to the coop.
Now, my girl hasn't laid an egg since she has been with me But I was told she was when I got her. I have treated them all with goat wormer and ivermectin. She has access to food at all points of the area. I give them meat for protein about 3x a week. They eat corn, black oiled sunflower seeds, and cleaned oats. I add oyster shells, grit and a bit of Diatomaceous Earth in their food. They have a 550 square ft run, 12x12 dog pen a 4x6 and a 6x4 chicken coop that is all connected plus a small building to just hang in the perches also. So roughly 900 square foot. My problem?
She is lowest on the pecking order and I had some major bullying. I got the bullies blinders and left them on for a week. That nipped it for the most part but they still chase her away. At times but no pulling feathers. No impacted or sour crop, HOWEVER, her comb is pale and slightly drooping. She is active, eats well, poo's normal but her comb started dropping and on the pale side. Any Ideas, suggestions or am I overreacting? New chicken mama..I have attached pic. Sorry so long ugh!

Hello,
I have a bit of a concern about one of my Barred Rock. She and her sister was added to my flock of 5 orpingtons about 3 1/2 months ago. They will be a year in april. We had a run in with red mites, lice and parasites. After much work and money it is under control. I worked diligently for 2 months straight. No scratching, and will freely go to the coop.
Now, my girl hasn't laid an egg since she has been with me But I was told she was when I got her. I have treated them all with goat wormer and ivermectin. She has access to food at all points of the area. I give them meat for protein about 3x a week. They eat corn, black oiled sunflower seeds, and cleaned oats. I add oyster shells, grit and a bit of Diatomaceous Earth in their food. They have a 550 square ft run, 12x12 dog pen a 4x6 and a 6x4 chicken coop that is all connected plus a small building to just hang in the perches also. So roughly 900 square foot. My problem?
She is lowest on the pecking order and I had some major bullying. I got the bullies blinders and left them on for a week. That nipped it for the most part but they still chase her away. At times but no pulling feathers. No impacted or sour crop, HOWEVER, her comb is pale and slightly drooping. She is active, eats well, poo's normal but her comb started dropping and on the pale side. Any Ideas, suggestions or am I overreacting? New chicken mama..I have attached pic. Sorry so long ugh!

Attachments

• 20211228_141914.jpg
    20211228_141914.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211228_141908.jpg
    20211228_141908.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 7
Can you see evidence of mites on her at this time? Mite treatment should be repeated at least once to get the newly hatched ones, and the coop must be completely treated with a permethrin product once all bedding is removed and then replaced with new. Ivermectin is given 14 days apart. Permethrin treatment is repeated after 7 days.

In winter with short daylight hours it can be common for hens to take a break from laying, and appear paler. But if she is in her first year of laying, they typically continue laying all winter. Has she begun to lay eggs yet? You would do better with her diet to make the balanced chicken feed her primary food.

Back
Top Bottom