comb cutting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by krobin04, Jul 9, 2010.

1. krobin04

krobin04 In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Lincoln County
    Is there truth to it that cutting the comb from a rooster causes it to become more docile?

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Songster

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    i dont know, but dont do it. Its cruel. If the rooster is mean, get rid of it or eat it. Dont maim it.

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I doubt it would make him more docile. Caponizing does, but then the rooster can't be used for breeding.

4. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chirping

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    Unless you're showing an Old English Game rooster (bantam or regular sized), there isn't any reason for dubbing (cutting the comb off). The only other reason people do that is for cock fights. Remember, the comb is like a radiator for the bird so they can cool off a bit easier.

5. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Songster

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    I don't even like tail docking or ear cutting in dogs, let alone something that sensitive and close to the body.

6. red roo

red roo In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    comb cutting is done for 2 reasons , one is for show and the other is done by ckicken fighters so the other rooster can't grab it. a hair cut makes you look good but wont make more docile and it would be like cutting your ears off

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    It is also done to prevent frostbite damage in very cold climates.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It is called dubbing. Aside from showing and cockfighting, as onthespot says there is some argument sometimes for doing it to prevent frostbite when keeping climate-inappropriate chicken breeds.

I do not believe there is any reason to think it makes a rooster more docile.

Pat

9. krobin04

krobin04 In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Lincoln County
    oh, thank goodness we have none of those reasons! they will stay! I think it would be cruel as well, but my neighbors tell me all sorts of things, about how in the country here they did that all the time- trim it off and rub sand in it for pete's sake! our main problem is that we love all of them, and know we can't keep them. Could we let just the roosters free range, while the hens are in pens/ kennels? would they still fight? you guys are great for your input, keep it coming and i hope i won't get on your nerves.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    sooner or later, everything that free ranges gets eaten by a predator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by