Comb frostbite

Fancypants4569

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 10, 2008
Prineville, Oregon
I am seeing alot of posts for comb frostbite over the winter and how the points wont grow back if this happens, Im kind of a newbie, Ive never owned a Roo with a big comb, So I have never experienced this....But... I just got a 10 month old cochin roo with a big beautiful comb...My question is...what are the precationary measure's that I can take to prevent this from happening to him next winter???
19641_my_chickens_002.jpg

Last edited:
Is frostbite a potential problem in your part of Oregon? I'm in NW CA, but not in the mountains, so I don't have to worry about frostbite - hasn't been below 28 degrees in our valley.

Yes it can get pretty cold here, Im in central oregon, close to the Cascade mountains. We had about 5 days were it stayed pretty close to below freezing, but the prior year was nasty... two weeks that we had below 0 degrees...So I know eventually it will happen and would love to know what to do to keep him safe?

Like ChickenWoman said, Vaseline will work and also so does any bag balm or Corona Udder Butter.

http://www.summitinds.com/product/corona-products/corona-udder-butter-7-oz-tube.html

The bag balms/udder butter usually stay on better and the hens don't seem to eat it as much as they do the Vaseline. The Marans girls seem to be addicted to Vaseline! They chase the roo down and peck it all off his comb, then leave him be.
We don't have a lot of freezing weather here in Alabama, but I do use it whenever it's going to be 32 or below.
I also take a bit of extra time and really rub it into the comb to make sure the circulation stays good. Both roos seem to love this and willingly let me do it.
Just make sure you keep whatever you use inside until you need it. I made the mistake of keeping ours in the barn at first and it was like a rock from the cold!

Ok, I have lots of Bagbalm..was thinkin my roo would look kinda funny walkin around with one of those thermal warmer things you use for sore muscles taped to his head....I am sooo kidding on that one lol!
lol.png
Thank you all!

Hey,
I keep wishing they would make something for their heads. A few of my hens need head protection from the roos during Spring! They are almost bald from the constant atttention. I have the chicken saddles/aprons on them, but nothing to do for their poor heads.
They look like they've been electrocuted!

Something like a mini bicycle helmet or horse riding helmet would be perfect
smile.png
I am NOT kidding. I wish there was something out there!

A well ventilated draft free coop. If humidity is very low and it's cold, he'll probably be fine. His comb is big, but not too big. Humidity and cold can result in frost bite near freezing. Dry cold and it will have to be very very very very cold to get frost bit. Vaseline will help keep moisture off the comb thus can help prevent frost bite too.

Back
Top Bottom