comb genetics question........

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, Dec 8, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have lavender EE's. They have pea combs. I want to use one of them to develop the lavender in a single comb breed. What could I expect in the F1 generation as far as comb? How long would it take to breed the pea combs out? Any info appreciated...........thanks [​IMG]

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Single comb is recessive, so you could get 50% sc, 50% het for sc, in f2, if f1 is bred back to a sc bird..if you breed f1 x f1, you will get 25% without the sc gene, 50% het for sc, and 25% sc.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Pea comb is easy to breed out in two generations. Once you have single combs and breed single combs to single combs, you will never see pea combs again unless you cross it into the line.

4. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Since the blue egg gene is tied so closely to the pea comb gene, if you breed out the pea comb you will also breed out the blue egg gene. The egg color will then be either brown or white, depending on which trait was carried from the single comb birds used in breeding. If someone who knows more about genetics than me,
    feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    what she is breeding for, she doesn't want the blue egg gene, so it would be a plus if it disappeared completely in two generations.

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    If you breed a pea comb with a single comb, you will get heterozygous (hybrid or split) offspring. The pea comb is incompletely dominant so you will get something in between a pea comb and a single comb. I have raised a bunch of the heterozygotes and every one had a funny looking floppy comb.

It has been my experience ( this is anecdotal) that single combed birds carry modifiers of the comb- these modifiers effect the size of the single comb. I believe they also effect the appearance of the pea comb. These modifiers appear to be dominant. If you breed the pea comb to a breed that has a large comb - you may have to also breed out the modifiers. I worked with pea comb and leghorns.

BYRDJ is correct. The pea comb gene is closely linked to the blue egg gene; about 3 map units. You have 3 chances in one hundred ( that is if a bird is heterozygous or split for single comb and pea comb) of producing a bird that is single combed and lays a blue egg.

Tim

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    my hen is heterozygous for the pea comb gene, but the only pic I have of her on this computer shows it looking pretty straigh. It isn't it flops over toward her left eye a bit, and the "peas" are uneven.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by