Comb injury first aid

MndaG

Songster
5 Years
May 15, 2018
NH(USA)
I went to check in my hens last night before bed and noticed one of them had a good size cut on their comb. I tried my best to clean it with a cotton pad with hydrogen peroxide and then put a little triple antibiotic ointment on it as well. I’m just wondering if there’s anything else I should be doing or is that all that needs to be done. Here’s a picture of the wound. It’s a little blurry. She’s eating and acting normal.
0CA4697A-FFC5-417F-B68D-37370894F9D5.jpeg

The comb may have gotten caught on something and torn (like when sticking the head through a fence) or if you have a rooster, possible that he tore it. If you need to clean it again I would not use peroxide again, it can inhibit healing. Something like veterycin spray is better, then when dry reapply the ointment. They usually heal up fine. When combs are injured they can bleed a lot, so if necessary you can use corn starch or flour to help stop the bleeding. Watch for pecking from other birds, the sight of blood can draw them and cause the injury to be made worse. If pecking is an issue then separate that bird in a wire crate in the run, so everyone can still see each other, until she's healed up enough.

please don't use hydrogen peroxide on it as that can kill skin cells off, warm water cleaning or saline solution to clean it, then apply either like neosporin or Vetrycin wound care. if the others peck at it apply some blue kote

The comb may have gotten caught on something and torn (like when sticking the head through a fence) or if you have a rooster, possible that he tore it. If you need to clean it again I would not use peroxide again, it can inhibit healing. Something like veterycin spray is better, then when dry reapply the ointment. They usually heal up fine. When combs are injured they can bleed a lot, so if necessary you can use corn starch or flour to help stop the bleeding. Watch for pecking from other birds, the sight of blood can draw them and cause the injury to be made worse. If pecking is an issue then separate that bird in a wire crate in the run, so everyone can still see each other, until she's healed up enough.
I have some of that spray that I bought for my dog. Is that the same as the one for poultry?

Back
Top Bottom