Comb modifier in Penedesencas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by phasianidae, Oct 10, 2011.

1. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    I am interested in knowing how the comb modifier in Penedesencas in inherited. Thanks.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You mean the Carnation comb? I know it's dominant, that's for sure. . . . What are you wanting to know?

3. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Yes. I am curios to know how the modifier that changes the comb from a single into a carnation comb is inherited.

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a penedesenca roo and he has the weird comb. i bread him with a single comb california grey hen cuz i want to see the comb type the babies come out with, waiting on eggs to hatch still

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    With my limited experience here with Marans, that evidently had Pene blood in the line, it takes two genes for the comb to express itself (show up). If a bird displays (expresses) a carnation comb, that bird has the two genes. If you have a bird with one gene who does NOT express the comb, as in has a single comb; and breed it to another bird that carries one gene, (same as the previous bird), the offspring of these two birds WILL express carnation combs! Just my experiences in a very limited breeding(s) here, other may have other ideas, but I know how it works, and now have to cull heavily.

6. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by