Comb tip is white and shrivelled

silkienewbie93

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
I noticed on my hen that one of the tips of her comb has turned white and crusty, and shrank. It was like this before our temps went below 0°C so I don’t think it’s frostbite. Could it be Favus? Or just dry skin? I attached a pic (the black spot on her comb is a scab from a recent peck).
59C64FE4-FBF3-4CD5-8EEF-294C4347CCF7.png

It is hard to know without testing. Old peck wounds can turn white or tan. I would watch it, but some miconazole or clotrimazole cream would help if it was favus fungus. It might just be dry winter skin, where coconut oil might help. But use causation if temps are going down below freezing at night, since ointments and creams can freeze increasing the risk of frostbite.

It is hard to know without testing. Old peck wounds can turn white or tan. I would watch it, but some miconazole or clotrimazole cream would help if it was favus fungus. It might just be dry winter skin, where coconut oil might help. But use causation if temps are going down below freezing at night, since ointments and creams can freeze increasing the risk of frostbite.
Good to know thanks! It’s going to be above freezing for the next couple days so I’ll see if some coconut oil helps first

Back
Top Bottom