Comb Tug-O-War

BUG126

Songster
11 Years
Jun 28, 2008
WA State
We have 2 frizzle roo's. In the past few days they have started grabbing the hens by their combs and yanking, they wont let go. Poor girls scream and scream. They aren't doing it while doing their "duty", but while facing them. Are they just really aggressive or is this normal roo behavior?

My roo did that to my hen yesterday and caused the hen's comb to bleed. I wondered about treating it or letting it just heal naturally. However, my roo was actually mating her and not being just aggressive. I have no other experience with roos to know about yours but I've heard that they can get pretty mean at times.

Quote:
I guess mine could be confused and mating the ground and just grabbing the hen for added excitement, but I doubt it
lol.png
I know they can do it right, I've seen them.

roos sometimes get confused on the "what to grab" part of mating, I think. I've heard of folks putting balm or something that tastes icky on their hens' combs so as to discourage the behavior of biting by the roos. You might try some Bag Balm if you have it, or something that would taste nasty and also stay put for awhile? Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom