Comb Tug-O-War

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BUG126, Jul 17, 2008.

1. BUG126

BUG126 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    We have 2 frizzle roo's. In the past few days they have started grabbing the hens by their combs and yanking, they wont let go. Poor girls scream and scream. They aren't doing it while doing their "duty", but while facing them. Are they just really aggressive or is this normal roo behavior?

2. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    My roo did that to my hen yesterday and caused the hen's comb to bleed. I wondered about treating it or letting it just heal naturally. However, my roo was actually mating her and not being just aggressive. I have no other experience with roos to know about yours but I've heard that they can get pretty mean at times.

3. BUG126

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    Quote:I guess mine could be confused and mating the ground and just grabbing the hen for added excitement, but I doubt it [​IMG] I know they can do it right, I've seen them.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    roos sometimes get confused on the "what to grab" part of mating, I think. I've heard of folks putting balm or something that tastes icky on their hens' combs so as to discourage the behavior of biting by the roos. You might try some Bag Balm if you have it, or something that would taste nasty and also stay put for awhile? Good luck!

5. BUG126

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    Quote:Thank I will try that, I feel bad, I didnt know a comb could stretch so far :eek:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by