Combining 2 Chick Flocks

rzimmerer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 16, 2012
Hello,
I have been reading old threads about mixing flocks and have read conflicting opinions. Some say that its ok to mix chicks before the 12th week of age and others are saying don't combine them, even if they are 3 days apart in age. Hopefully I can get some clarification on that and some specific advice about my own situation.
I have 50 golden comets that are about 1 month old. I am thinking now that i should have ordered 100 at one time. Can I order 50 more now, have them grow to the size that they don't need the heat lamps in a brooder by themselves, then move them into the pen/coop with the older chicks? There is plenty of room in the new coop but no "safe space" for the younger ones to go or anything. Also, I was thinking to order more golden comets so they would all look the same. I don't know if that matters but I figured it couldn't hurt.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

I am curious to see the answer to your question! Next Wednesday we'll be getting two chicks and one more on Friday from our feed store. We were planning on putting the younger chick right in with the two older ones.

The standard advice about when to mix flocks of different ages is usually "when they are physically the same size."

This means that I would not introduce a pullet to a laying flock until the pullet was physically the same size, no earlier than 16 weeks and probably closer to 18 - 19 weeks, since a bird younger than 18 weeks needs chick starter instead of layer ration anyway.

For chicks, again, they should be at least close in size. Heck, I mixed four flocks into two just yesterday, put some 5 week chicks that Mama Hen decided to wean in with some 9 week old chicks. No problems. I also put some newly hatched day old chicks into a brooder with some week and a half old chicks. No problems with either integration. I just dumped them all together.

In your situation, I think you will be OK, especially since the weather is warming up and you'll be able to get your chicks outside and integrated quickly. Just watch them carefully and make a safe space for them--put in some things for them to hide behind so they can get away from bullies.

I have:) but I have lots of room for them to roam(mine all free range) my youngest group that's out right now free ranging is 8 weeks old(they have been free ranging for just under a week) my oldest hens are 3 years old (adopted last week from a couple is being transferred for work) I have about twenty that are out free ranging all togther, along with five ducks. Most get along but there is always times the bigger hens pick on my younger pullets, it never last very long:)
I also have 3/4 week chicks out in the run of a coop that's how I get the rest used to newbies.. They get to see them during the day, and then I bring them in for the night.. Good luck with what ever you decide to do..

Just the thread I was looking for! I got 7 Silkies today, 8 Cochins next Wednesday and I'm having 15 Barred Rocks shipped the 22nd. How will that work? Lol

Just the thread I was looking for! I got 7 Silkies today, 8 Cochins next Wednesday and I'm having 15 Barred Rocks shipped the 22nd. How will that work? Lol
All chicks? You can put the chicks together for sure, just dump them all together. But you might have to watch the Silkies after the Rocks start getting big--Silkies don't always do well in a large fowl flock.

I don't have Silkies myself because I know my hen house and pasture set up would be too hard on them. Also, Silkies can have a domed skull, which is very vulnerable when pecked by a large fowl bird. The folks on the Silkie thread would have more specific advice for you.

Last edited:
All chicks? You can put the chicks together for sure, just dump them all together. But you might have to watch the Silkies after the Rocks start getting big--Silkies don't always do well in a large fowl flock.

I don't have Silkies myself because I know my hen house and pasture set up would be too hard on them. Also, Silkies can have a domed skull, which is very vulnerable when pecked by a large fowl bird. The folks on the Silkie thread would have more specific advice for you.

Okay thank you so much for the info! I've asked on the silkie thread but no one has answered me! Lol I'll just watch them all :)

i raised silkies with large fowl and they were ok maybe because they were hatched the same day. I am going to try it again in June. Silkie, Jersey Giant, Brahma, Orpington, and Australorp all hatching June 3. private message me June 15 and I will let you know how they are doing

i raised silkies with large fowl and they were ok maybe because they were hatched the same day. I am going to try it again in June. Silkie, Jersey Giant, Brahma, Orpington, and Australorp all hatching June 3. private message me June 15 and I will let you know how they are doing
Okay I will do that. My Silkies will be 3 weeks old when my Barred Rocks arrive and my Cochins and replacement Silkies will be 2 weeks old. I'm hoping it will all work out! I've heard BR's are very docile animals and sweethearts

Thanks for all the replies. I asked a bunch of small-flock farmers and I decided to get 50 more golden comets. From what everyone has been saying they should be ok, with some monitoring, since the new and older chicks are not too different in age/size. I actually had to put one of my full-grown barred plymouth rock hens in the "sick bay" where the chicks were living and she escaped when I wasn't watching. I came back later to see them all eating grass (and worms!) together outside. I am thinking that ample space is a major factor.

Back
Top Bottom