Combining 2 groups of pullets

TheFarmofDreams

Chirping
Jul 23, 2021
Watertown, NY
I'm pretty sure these all count as pullets 😆 except the roo.

I've got 5 Bresse (one roo) born June/July from a flock swap... and another batch of mixed chicks from end of July/August that were brooded elsewhere for me. When I picked up the younger chicks, they came with 2 Ameraucauna hens. The hens and 11 younger ones get along fine. But the Bresse have been living in chicken jail bc they were so much bigger than the new chicks and aggressive.

Are they close enough in size to leave them out now? The Ameraucauna hens have no problem chastising them, but they're not very kind to the littlest ones. I don't want to set them up for trouble.

In case it matters, the smallest are a black cochin and a bunch of Isa browns. There's also an andalusian, orpington, Easter egger, and 2 buff brahmas

The roo (right middle) and a bunch of the little ones, and one Ameraucauna on the left.
IMG_20230923_132055649_HDR.jpg

Bresse on the ground, everyone else hiding on the window sill.
IMG_20230923_131729534_HDR.jpg

Such beautiful birds!

You know, it's really hard to say. With me and our silkies, I can't merge them with the adults one day under 5-months old as then they're the same size, yet I have hens smaller than the youngens, so who knows. The next breed I'll hear they integrate them much younger. I have had day old chick with chicks 3 weeks old in a brooder and they all got along great.

All I can say is try it, but perhaps at night so they all wake up in the morning and maybe stand a chance of accepting each other. Once I put a wooden box in the coop when I had no choice as winter was coming so they had to go in about a month too young. I knew there were going to be issues. That way the younger ones could take cover, and they did.

Good luck!

Arrange a see-no-touch set-up and monitor reactions for a couple weeks. Or are they already able to see each other?
They have had that for a few weeks now! The Bresse were living in chicken "jail" in the coop (ala a large dog crate). They're only a month or two older that the younger group, but it shows.

I've been trialing it. I think they're adjusting... it's hard to tell bc molting has tons of feathers in there. But the younglings seem to be getting more relaxed.

I'm pretty sure these all count as pullets 😆 except the roo.

I've got 5 Bresse (one roo) born June/July from a flock swap... and another batch of mixed chicks from end of July/August that were brooded elsewhere for me. When I picked up the younger chicks, they came with 2 Ameraucauna hens. The hens and 11 younger ones get along fine. But the Bresse have been living in chicken jail bc they were so much bigger than the new chicks and aggressive.

Are they close enough in size to leave them out now? The Ameraucauna hens have no problem chastising them, but they're not very kind to the littlest ones. I don't want to set them up for trouble.

In case it matters, the smallest are a black cochin and a bunch of Isa browns. There's also an andalusian, orpington, Easter egger, and 2 buff brahmas

The roo (right middle) and a bunch of the little ones, and one Ameraucauna on the left.
View attachment 3643316

Bresse on the ground, everyone else hiding on the window sill.
View attachment 3643373
Love your barn 😍

Back
Top Bottom