Combining Birds?

chickens112

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Cuero Tx
At what age(in weeks) would be a good time to combine new younger birds to an existing flock. I was guessing around maybe 10 wks. Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Last edited:
You want the new birds to be about the same size as the older ones so that they can fend off the attacks that will surely happen.

Watch them really, really carefully.

I'm going to integrate new pullets not once, but twice this summer. Should be interesting...

Yes that sounds like fun
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm trying this myself. Last year I tried to introduce 3 adult, but young, birds to my established flock of 6 birds. They almost pecked one to death.

Now, the older flock is down to three. ( I lost 3 this year to old age, I think.) So the numbers are even: three to three.

One if the older ones is really making sure that they all know that she'e top hen. They are all so spoiled and sweet, I hate to see the fighting and fussing in the coop, but I need to do this if I want to add more chickens to keep some that lay well.

They have free ranged almost every evening, amd I kept the coops side-by-side so that they would see each other safely.

Hope it goes well with yours and with mine.

Back
Top Bottom