Combining chicks

One month after your post, I'm guessing the RIR's are the runts of the litter and not a real threat to the (slightly) younger chicks. If they are all healthy, I would put them together and let them establish that pecking order, which is constantly changing anyway.

I had two skunk attacks and lost everything but 9 Icelandics and 1 RIR and my 3 adults.

Skunks are dead, coop is better designed.

The RIR is the size of the 3 Icelandic Cockerals. She is picked on a bit by everyone. She is the most human friendly.

Yearling black bear has tried to get in the coop a few times, but gives up. Goes right through a hot fence with a big charger.

I had two skunk attacks and lost everything but 9 Icelandics and 1 RIR and my 3 adults.

Skunks are dead, coop is better designed.

The RIR is the size of the 3 Icelandic Cockerals. She is picked on a bit by everyone. She is the most human friendly.

Yearling black bear has tried to get in the coop a few times, but gives up. Goes right through a hot fence with a big charger.
Sorry for all that. Skunks stink. You have a different strain of RIR than I had. Mine were all scrawny and ugly, though human friendly.
I was talking to a friend about dealing with skunks just yesterday. His solution was: using a cracked egg for bait, live trap them in a trap arranged so that it could then be dropped into a barrel of water, drowning the skunk. No spraying.
Bears present a whole 'nother challenge. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom