Combining chicks

Dec 2, 2020
I have two set of chicks.

23 - 4 week old Icelandics
1 - 4 week old austrolorp

6 - 5 to 5 1/2 week old RIR pullets
2 - 4 week old barred rocks

The rogue austrolorp got out of one brooder and ended up in another.

The RIRs are significantly bigger than the other birds, but are not aggressive with the 3 smaller chicks they share a tub with.

Weather dependent, I want to put the whole lot in the same 100 sq ft hoop house in the next 2 weeks. Because they are so young, can I just bring them all up in the Am and let them go into the coop?

My first set of birds were incredibly aggressive, so I am a bit more cautious than normal.

Thank you

The RIRs are significantly bigger than the other birds, but are not aggressive with the 3 smaller chicks they share a tub with.

Weather dependent, I want to put the whole lot in the same 100 sq ft hoop house in the next 2 weeks. Because they are so young, can I just bring them all up in the Am and let them go into the coop?

My first set of birds were incredibly aggressive, so I am a bit more cautious than normal.

Thank you
I would try introducing them slowly but I don’t see why not. My friend has a RIR roo that loves the younger chickens. He sits and lets them climb all over him. I raised him for her from a day old until he was coop ready and he’s a love bug! He kept flinging himself over the big fence to get to the brooders and he would sit beside them and stare into the screened in door. One day she went into the brooder and somehow Victor (the roo) was in with the chicks, just sitting and chit chatting with the baby peeps as they climbed him like they do the water crates. 😂

Thank you
I WOULD wait until the chicks are a bit older to send them to the coop but I know many people do it other ways.

With their close age and being somewhat younger (bout 2 weeks older than I would normally try) I'd still try to put them in a coop. That said I would keep a close eye on them for the first hour or so and see if there are any major bullies. You have any remove them and put them in a cage in the coop so they can't get to anybody but still see and somewhat interact with them (not touch). After a day or 2 let the bullies go and watch, if they are still showing their butt repeat.

They are together In the hoop house as of Saturday morning. I have a little solar set up with heat lamp for 9pm to 6am. Although it has been warm at night 45+ even at 4200 feet.

It’s 100sq feet. I blocked in a little area with empty paper boxes.

The smaller flock of RIR and barred stay mostly to themselves. No fighting to bullying in the 5 hours I’ve observed.

First 2 nights they’ve bedded down next to the disabled 6 month old Swedish Flower pullet (she got hurt again by other pullets). She was in her own fenced off area.

I moved all 33 chicks to the heat both nights.

Today I let the disabled pullet roam the coop. No issues. Going to give them a quick check tonight.

Pics of the Icelandic blanket with a RIR stoke away. And the area they bedded down next to the disabled pullet.

Attachments

• 20E624F2-6897-4801-8D09-812B9CF166D6.jpeg
    20E624F2-6897-4801-8D09-812B9CF166D6.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 5CB1F11D-7B8E-4439-90EB-B3A4186D4A9E.jpeg
    5CB1F11D-7B8E-4439-90EB-B3A4186D4A9E.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 8

Thank you
One month after your post, I'm guessing the RIR's are the runts of the litter and not a real threat to the (slightly) younger chicks. If they are all healthy, I would put them together and let them establish that pecking order, which is constantly changing anyway.

One month after your post, I'm guessing the RIR's are the runts of the litter and not a real threat to the (slightly) younger chicks. If they are all healthy, I would put them together and let them establish that pecking order, which is constantly changing anyway.

I had two skunk attacks and lost everything but 9 Icelandics and 1 RIR and my 3 adults.

Skunks are dead, coop is better designed.

The RIR is the size of the 3 Icelandic Cockerals. She is picked on a bit by everyone. She is the most human friendly.

Yearling black bear has tried to get in the coop a few times, but gives up. Goes right through a hot fence with a big charger.

Back
Top Bottom