Combining chicks

I have two set of chicks.

23 - 4 week old Icelandics
1 - 4 week old austrolorp

6 - 5 to 5 1/2 week old RIR pullets
1 - 4 week old austrolorp
2 - 4 week old barred rocks

The rogue austrolorp got out of one brooder and ended up in another.

The RIRs are significantly bigger than the other birds, but are not aggressive with the 3 smaller chicks they share a tub with.

Weather dependent, I want to put the whole lot in the same 100 sq ft hoop house in the next 2 weeks. Because they are so young, can I just bring them all up in the Am and let them go into the coop?

My first set of birds were incredibly aggressive, so I am a bit more cautious than normal.

Thank you
i just mixed 4 turkey poults into 74 chicks that were 3 weeks old each...no prob

I had two skunk attacks and lost everything but 9 Icelandics and 1 RIR and my 3 adults.

Skunks are dead, coop is better designed.

The RIR is the size of the 3 Icelandic Cockerals. She is picked on a bit by everyone. She is the most human friendly.

Yearling black bear has tried to get in the coop a few times, but gives up. Goes right through a hot fence with a big charger.
Sorry for all that. Skunks stink. You have a different strain of RIR than I had. Mine were all scrawny and ugly, though human friendly.
I was talking to a friend about dealing with skunks just yesterday. His solution was: using a cracked egg for bait, live trap them in a trap arranged so that it could then be dropped into a barrel of water, drowning the skunk. No spraying.
Bears present a whole 'nother challenge. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom