Combining Chicks of Different Ages

Rencicc

Hatching
Apr 7, 2024
I recently had a Silkie hatch 4 chicks that are now 5 weeks old. I put mama and the chicks out in a separate tractor coop away from my main flock but they can still see them. About 10 days ago, my Frizzle hen went broody and is now sitting on 9 eggs. My question is, do you think that after the new chicks hatch that I would be able to add them in to the tractor coop (not immediately) with the older chicks. I'm thinking that the older chicks will probably be 8 weeks by the time I'd need to move them, and too soon to add to the main flock. I'm not sure what to do as I really don't want to get a 3rd coop! Any advice would be appreciated!

I've found early integration is easier. Raise my babies in the coop with the help of the whole flock. If you feel that's not possible, then another option is moving current mama and 5 week old babies into the coop (line of sight blockers without places to be cornered are a good thing here) and let the new broody sit on eggs without having the rest add to the pot.

Thank you for your advice. I wish I would have been able to keep them in the coop when they went broody, but since my Silkie and Frizzle are at the bottom of the pecking order, I had to move them and the nest each time to my maternity ward in my back basement LOL. The other big girls kept going into the nesting box and kicking them off the eggs. I have since moved the 1st set of chicks and mama into the tractor coop which was great and right next door so they can all see each other, but the Frizzle through a curve ball into my plan when she went broody and is now in the maternity ward on 9 eggs. They are due to hatch in about 10 days. I can keep mama and baby chicks all in the maternity ward for about 2 weeks or so after hatching, but then they will have to go out and that is what scares me. I'm not sure what would be worse.... putting the mama and 4 older chicks who will be about 8 weeks old then into the main coop with the big girls (7 hens & 1 rooster), or putting the new mama and baby chicks in the tractor coop with the 8 week old chicks - and maybe put the older chicks' mama back in the main coop. What a dilemma!

If the older chicks will be 8 weeks by then and it's next to the big coop, I'd go the big coop for all of them. And put the new mama and babies in the tractor

Back
Top Bottom