1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Combining flocks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fisho, Mar 27, 2015.

1. fisho

fisho Hatching

Jan 23, 2015
    Hi all,

I've just finished building my coop and run and am getting 3 RIR hens that are about 1 yr old from a friend and 2 Wyandottes that are only 10 - 12 weeks old from family.

My question is being both are being introduced to a new home should I combine them both from the start or separate and slowly introduce both breeds/flocks?

Thanks in advance

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Best practice is to quarantine the birds from each other for a month. That means separate housing, preferably on opposite ends of your yard, or at least 50' apart, no shared equipment, change of shoes/clothing before moving from one flock to an other. As you can see, this is a daunting task for the average flockster. If it can't be done right, one wonders if it's worth doing at all. You do run a risk by combining birds from 2 different flocks. The younger birds will be at risk of "the pecking order." If at all possible, you could get them first, and give them a week to acclimate, before adding the RIR. That way the Wyandottes will have the home court advantage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by