Combining Fowl

Chaverah

Chirping
Nov 22, 2020
Montana
Hello, I am new to BYC, but have had chickens for over 20 years and ducks once. We took a break when we moved to town, but are ready to start up again. I’m wondering what you all think of the following combination (we are limited to 6 fowl in town, I think). I tried to choose ducks and chickens that were quiet and good egg layers (except for the Muscovy, which has other virtues 🙂) Would these breeds get along ok? We are not allowed to have a rooster in town, but a drake should not be a problem.

3 Duck Hens: Magpie, Muscovy and Campbell
1 Drake: Indian Runner
2 Chicken Hens: Dominique and Black Australorp

:welcome
Breeds sound like they would get along pretty well. Why do you want a drake? If you don't really need one, I'd skip getting him and get a third chicken instead. 3 duck hens isn't really enough for a drake (6 is the recommended minimum, 10 is the best). The ducks will be really over mated. He could also attempt to mate the chickens if he doesn't have enough ducks, which can really hurt the chickens.

You could get six chicken and six ducks and if anyone every says anything............ You could reply back and say, O I thought that meant I could have six of each breed as your handing them a fresh 18 of eggs! :gig :lau

:welcome
Breeds sound like they would get along pretty well. Why do you want a drake? If you don't really need one, I'd skip getting him and get a third chicken instead. 3 duck hens isn't really enough for a drake (6 is the recommended minimum, 10 is the best). The ducks will be really over mated. He could also attempt to mate the chickens if he doesn't have enough ducks, which can really hurt the chickens.
Oh! I was going to get a drake for ducklings... so maybe I should get 5 duck hens and a drake. Would that be enough? If not, I can try to get 6 duck hens and a drake =). I was thinking an Indian runner drake because they are on the smaller side, right? Or is there a breed of drake that tends to be nicer to the hens?

If you want to follow the rules where you are living and STICK to just six, Why would you wont a Drake to have ducklings if you can only have six in total? Maybe I am missing something? :confused:

If I could only have six and wanted to play by the rules, :gig:lau I would have six hens, either three chickens and or three ducks, starting with young poultry, chicks and duckling of course.:love

IMO, If you want easy poultry, six sexed hen chickens would be the way to go, ducks are much more work and the larger breeds tend to have more leg and joint issues do to their size.

Most importantly, you don't want a Drake in with hen chickens because he could possible hurt them trying to mate. Drakes are different then a Roo in that department. :)

Best of luck and please keep us post as to your poultry journey, pics are always appreciated! :yesss:

If you want to follow the rules where you are living and STICK to just six, Why would you wont a Drake to have ducklings if you can only have six in total? Maybe I am missing something? :confused:

If I could only have six and wanted to play by the rules, :gig:lau I would have six hens, either three chickens and or three ducks, starting with young poultry, chicks and duckling of course.:love

IMO, If you want easy poultry, six sexed hen chickens would be the way to go, ducks are much more work and the larger breeds tend to have more leg and joint issues do to their size.

Most importantly, you don't want a Drake in with hen chickens because he could possible hurt them trying to mate. Drakes are different then a Roo in that department. :)

Best of luck and please keep us post as to your poultry journey, pics are always appreciated! :yesss:
Lol, good point! I don’t think babies count... and then I could sell them until I needed to replace one of the adults... but maybe not worth it. I suppose I could focus on a threatened breed and do all the same type and raise babies...

Interesting that you think chickens are easier. I have read that ducks are easier... and they lay more eggs... and they are hardier in winter. I would mainly have the lighter ducks. Have you had both? We did, but living on 10 acres is 100% different than a town lot.

Someone else convinced me already that if I get a drake, it will be only duck hens with him. =)

Thanks so much for the response! More things to consider!

Back
Top Bottom