Combining hens.

Nov 6, 2022
Ok so I need some advice. Currently we have 7 chickens total. 2 hens that are just over the one year mark, and 5 that are roughly 5 to 6 months old. At the current moment we have them in 2 separate coops, tho they are literally side by side. BOTH of the older hens are sorta bullish to the younger girls, one in particular is..well to be blunt about it she's just plain mean to them. Now I've had them out in the yard free ranging together and it has improved. But here's my problem. You see I want to combine them under 1 coop. The older chickens coop is in need of replacing, ( First coop I built, not pretty) and I'm trying to find a way to do this with as little resistance as possible. Now they have no experience at roost time together aside from being next to each other? Any suggestions on how to bring them together? Or do I gotta just let them sort it out?

The fact that your older hens are the ones that need to move into the younger hens coop is to your advantage. And that you have more young birds than old.

What I would try first - is letting the younger girls out to free range, put the older girls in their coop/run. Just for a couple of hours. Then let everyone together close to roosting time. Throw down some treats as all come in. The old girls will probably roost late, as they will be wanting to go back to their digs, but when that is not an option, they should go into the coop as a 2nd best choice.

Do get down there early the next morning.

However - once in a while an old bird can be a real bit##. I would also have some pin less peepers on hand, they have really helped a lot of smaller flocks get over this hump.

Mrs K

I envision two different coops that share a run. When they are in the run you had or have had some problems but when they are out with lots of room you don't have issues. They probably form two separate flocks, kind of avoid each other. They put themselves to bed in different coops. I'd guess at least a few of the younger birds have started laying. The two flocks may have combined some when the younger started laying. I could be mistaken in any or all of this.

I do something similar to what you want to do with mine, though I move the younger into the olders' coop. After they have proven to me that they can coexist in the run and free ranging I lock my youngers into the olders' coop after it is dark and the older are already in there, you'd go the other way. It's dark enough that they can't see to attack each other. I just set them on the coop floor, many people like to set them on the roost but I don't bother. They will work that out themselves and will figure out where to sleep as time passes. I'm down there at sunrise when they wake up to see how it is going every morning until I'm sure it won't be a problem. It has never been a problem but you never know for sure. Each time it can be different and your chickens and coops are different from mine.

I lock the old coop so they cannot get back in there. If your two are laying in the old coop they will have to find another place to lay. I typically do this well before they start to lay so that isn't a problem for me. Many times on the second night they put themselves to bed in the new coop. When they don't, they go to bed near the old coop. I wait until it's dark when it is easy to catch them and toss them in the new coop. If you are consistent they soon get the message.

I do not set them on the roost when I do this, just put them on the coop floor. They will determine who sleeps where based on the pecking order. I don't care who sleeps where in there as long as it is not in my nests and is predator safe. My goal when I do this is that no one gets hurt. They will work out all that other stuff in time.

Back
Top Bottom