Combining pullets

Agree with above as well. Definitely have a divider between them and keep an eye on how they interact with one another. Or the older chicks can possibly be put out in the coop now, depending on your climate.

3 week age gap might work fine.....or be disastrous.
I've had it go both ways.
Split the brooder with wire fencing, try some mixing and matching.
Just how big is the brooder, in feet by feet?
Pics would help here.

I would not do that to young chicks. They do not have enough experience to avoid being killed. At the very least, separate or divide the brooder. 4 weeks won't be a big issue once they are 12 weeks old.

The 28 day chicks should be ready to move to a big house now.

This was just a question for future reference. I only have day olds right now (3 of them) My husband wanted to incubate more eggs so I was curious as to if they would eventually be able to go with the month olds....no eggs are in the incubator currently. I was just thinking if I could introduce two batches prior to bringing them to the flock they’d fair better then 3 bantams being introduced on their own. All of our chicks have been hen hatched up until now.

Really? Introduce to flock at 4 weeks? I’ll probably wait until they are at least 6 weeks...again I’ve never done this before. So ‍♀️

I was just thinking if I could introduce two batches prior to bringing them to the flock they’d fair better then 3 bantams being introduced on their own.
It would.
It could work for you, need to get brooder set up with separate areas...just in case.

Really? Introduce to flock at 4 weeks?
If you get your coop set up for it, it's the easiest IME.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Really? Introduce to flock at 4 weeks? I’ll probably wait until they are at least 6 weeks...again I’ve never done this before. So ‍♀️

Aart's article is a good read. My setup is slightly different (I brooded in run) but same principle, being that chicks are kept separate but in view of adults, then chicks are gradually allowed more access to where adults are but with safe zones and plenty of obstacles so they can get away if needed at any point. In my case I started letting the chicks mix with adults at 2 1/2 weeks, they were in the coop and roosting with adults at 5 1/2 weeks.

Aart's article is a good read. My setup is slightly different (I brooded in run) but same principle, being that chicks are kept separate but in view of adults, then chicks are gradually allowed more access to where adults are but with safe zones and plenty of obstacles so they can get away if needed at any point. In my case I started letting the chicks mix with adults at 2 1/2 weeks, they were in the coop and roosting with adults at 5 1/2 weeks.
You have an article too, right...link it here maybe
@blackdog043 has a good setup too.
Both of yours are simpler than mine...I should link your articles in mine.

Back
Top Bottom