Combining two flocks in new coop and run?

The Chicken People

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Smithville, Mo
One flock is 3 EE's , 1 RIR, and two bantams the other flock is 15 laying hens. Should I just put them all in together with plenty of food and water sources and spread some scratch or watermelons around? These are my flocks no new birds so I am not worried about quarantine!!
The other option would have to confine smaller flock inside of coop for a slower integration?

Only one way to find out. I have put 2 flocks together without a problem. The big issue seems to be younger chickens with older hens. Once they are all full grown it doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I just put 2 pullets/1 roo in with 1 roo/7 pullets and they are sharing the coop just fine but still keep separate lives. Go figure.

I mixed two flocks (ages 7 weeks and 5 weeks). They don't fight but they also don't pay attention to the members of the other flock. My roosters won't even attempt to mate with the pullets from the other flock. One group roosts on one side of the coop, everyone else on the other. They are a real mix of breeds so it's not the "birds of a feather" thing.

If they've had no contact prior to this, I would recommend a slower integration. Can you set up a situation in which the two flocks can SEE each other but not get to each other? For a week or two? (I do a two week integration before I let them all mingle, but I'm not putting the new birds into the same coop....)

If none of them have been in the new coop, then it's different, because they will ALL have to go through the pecking order thing, not just one flock "merging" into an established flock in their well-known coop.

Your idea of a cage within the coop for the smaller flock sounds like a good idea.

None of them have been in the new coop or run so I am thinking of trying iot all at once! Thanks for all the responses! I just dont want my Lav. Bantam cochin or frizzle getting beat up too bad! I know my buff cochin bantam from the other coop is a little meanie I hope they all get along!

Back
Top Bottom