1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Combs and lotion?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OneLostHen, Apr 6, 2015.

1. OneLostHen

OneLostHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    Quick Q here, can dry-ish combs have a non scented lotion applied? Will it matter to the hen if it is or isn't applied? I was thinking of something like udder cream type of lotion...
    Thanks!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think the better question is why are the combs dry in the first place? A red plump comb is a good indicator of overall health and sexual maturity. A pale, dry comb usually indicates a molt, broodiness,immaturity or illness or parasite infestation of some sort. Are the birds otherwise healthy, active and productive?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  3. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Donrae's questions are good.

Just want to add my 2 bits that I use lanolin on combs and wattles after a bath if I'm trying to make them look snazzy :)

4. Sarahhenlover

Sarahhenlover New Egg

Nov 19, 2015
    hi i was wondering what type of lotion to use on chickens combs after a bath???

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    I like Bag Balm. It is a bit thick and greasy, but if you rub it in and then dry of the excess, as long as the chicken doesn't go take a dust bath, the comb stays pretty clean. It soaks in nice and moisturizes the comb and doesn't flake like vaseline.

Scarlet Oil works nice too. You can get this at many feed stores. It is really an anticeptic, but it has nice oils in it that soak in well. Reddens the comb too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by