Come on I lean!

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi All - well Babs definitely doesn't have Merricks or reproductive issues or cancer...She just tore a ligament or tendon so that she can not bear weight on her left leg. She went to the vet and there was no broken or dislocated bones. She is eating like a champ, laying eggs, her comb is bright red but you can tell she wants to get the heck out of the dog crate on our mudroom. I put her in a separate run inside the ladie's run and they tried to attack her through the wire. They already picked on her before but there is another girl in my flock who they pick on too. My vet said that sometimes lame chickens learn to adapt like dogs with three legs or no hind legs etc. I wont WON'T cull her, but do you think she can eventually if I gradually integrate her after I am sure she is pain free but just permanently lame, that she can live normally in the flock? PS i am planning on bringing 4 pullets in on June 4.

The best way is to set up a cadge big enough for her to live and move around in to get away from the pecking and leave her in there for a week, before letting her out and introducing her to the chicken at the bottom of the pecking order and slowly move up like that for a week (put her back in the cadge after the introductions are done then let her out into the coop before letting the chicken at the top pecking order in and slowly work your way down to the bottom one at a time until you have the whole group in there. she will be picked on until she has worked out her place in the pecking order but after that she should be fine.

The best way is to set up a cadge big enough for her to live and move around in to get away from the pecking and leave her in there for a week, before letting her out and introducing her to the chicken at the bottom of the pecking order and slowly move up like that for a week (put her back in the cadge after the introductions are done then let her out into the coop before letting the chicken at the top pecking order in and slowly work your way down to the bottom one at a time until you have the whole group in there. she will be picked on until she has worked out her place in the pecking order but after that she should be fine.
I have to say - that is the most awesome and helpful advice I could have wished for. Thank you so much. I am going to do that. One thing you can help me with - The hen at the top of the pecking order, if you would even call it that but is the most respected, is nice but will definitely fight her now so the plan is great for her. The other two are tied for lowest, one being a huge bully who already picked on both the lower ladies (including my newly lame gal) even tho nobody likes her and she really is everyone's pest, and my sweetest baby who is lowest and would never hurt her, maybe even run from her. So After I get her in with the last one for a bit, should I go to the sweet lady at the top or the mean bully lady who is tied for bottom??? Thanks so much for this. I do not think she will ever be able to perch again in the coop so I may make a low little 2x4 roost for her a few inches over the bedding out of Poop's way, so she can at least sleep in the coop. Oh boy this is going to be fun LOL. Thanks for your amazing and thoughtful help

You're welcome,
Here is the website I used, but it won't be the same as what I said because every flock is different, so feel free to change the steps around to suit your flock's requirements.
Making a low perch for your lam gal is a great idea.

https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/how-to-introduce-new-chickens-to-your-existing-flock/

P.s My Flock is free range but I used the inside the coop method because I like to keep new chickens inside the coop for 2 weeks to get used to their new home and so that they know to come back to their coop every night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom