Comet Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Geranium55, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Geranium55

Geranium55 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2011
    How well do comet hens lay eggs?

2. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    the first summer I had my gold comets I had 12,they started laying about 22 weeks old,I got an egg a day for almost a year.I bought 16 more gold comets jan 15th,I estimated the first egg date feb 15th,I got my first egg from the 16 today..feb 16th,they lay extra large and lots of double yolks the first 4/5 months then gradually slow down to large or extra large ,the second season they slow down to laying 4/5 a week..still extra large eggs [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have one Golden Buff ( Same as Golden Comets ), she lays HUGE ( maybe a little bit smaller than Turkey eggs ) they are Dark Brown to Pinkish/purple...go to my auction page and click on the picture and the large eggs are the Golden Buffs.

If I ever get more egg laying breeds, I'm ordering more Golden Buffs ( a.k.a. Red Sex Links, Golden Comets, Cinnamon Queens...etc )

4. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    We love our Comets...they have layed almost every day this winter(without additional light). THeir eggs are HUGE, usually 3oz. Enjoy them, they are nice birds!

5. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    We currently have 5 Red Comets (same thing essentially as yours) and they produce an extra large egg nearly every day. We believe the first started laying at 17 weeks, at first the eggs were a little smaller, but they rapidly increased in size until they are quite large. They'll be a year old this spring, and we're very happy with them for egg production. I'm not sure you can do much better for egg production than these birds.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    The large eggs are from my Golden Buff hen ~

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by