comfy nest box?

chuckscleo

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2018
Hi, wondering if anyone has any advice.

We have only had chickens for a few days and we have had 2 eggs so far off one chicken i think.

She has a lot of trouble back and for the coop before laying. Going in and then coming back out and attacking the others. I worked out i think this is because she is close to laying. She will come out and go to the side of the coop in the run trying to look at the outside of the nest box for some reason. A couple of hours later her temperament changes and then i find an egg in late afternoon.
I appreciate its early days and everything is different though.

Yesterday the egg was in the coop just by the perches not in the nest box. She seems to have huddled down and made a nest shape with her bum. I only have newspaper and pine shavings in the coop and the nest box.

Should i have something more 'nesty' in the nest box? I always imagined it would look like a birds nest. Ive seen conflicting advice over using straw and hay though. Are the wood shavings i have too flat to be comfortable and encouraging?

Ive ordered some fake eggs to put in the nest boxes but is there anything else i can do to make it less stressful for her or will it just be time?

thanks

edit- just to say i have 4 silkies.

I have used pine shavings in the nests for decades. I don't think that is the issue.

Can you post a picture of the inside of the coop that shows the nest box entrances?
How deep are the shavings in the nests?

Silkies can be fickle creatures. She may insist on laying in her chosen spot. If she keeps laying there maybe adding a nest box or even a cardboard box may help get her used to an enclosed spot to lay.

Thanks, ill get a picture on after.

Note sure if i am putting enough shavings down as they scrap to show the newspapers underneath.

Just thought as well, when ive been adding more shavings should i add more to cover up the indent shes made in the main coop- where the last egg was laid or leave it like it is?

When there was an indent in the shavings in the nest box- where the first egg was laid i covered it up with more shavings when i was cleaning it. Would that have affected it?

thanks

Covering the dent should not affect it.

I put about 3 inches of shavings in the nest boxes and refill if they kick a bunch out.
I cover the dents all the time with no issues from it.

How big are the nests? If they are to small that may be why she is being funny about it.
Are they kind of high up? Is there a board for them to stand on before going in?

My nests are 14" wide and 16" front to back. I keep large birds though. For silkies a 10" x10" should work with a 12x12 being better.

We have only had chickens for a few days
She's still acclimating to her new home, give her time to settle in. Be glad she's laying, they often stop for a time when moved.
How old is she?

Can you post a picture of the inside of the coop that shows the nest box entrances?
How deep are the shavings in the nests?
Ditto Dat^^^

I use wood shavings as well. I don't really push the shavings into the indent the chickens make, instead I make sure the nest box is padded enough under that so that eggs won't get broken (I use a folded feed bag). The fake eggs should help, since she seems confused as to where to go.

Hi, thank you for your replies. I checked this afternoon and shes laid another egg, in the dent in the middle of the coop that she used before.

Im really grateful for her laying, they are our first chickens so to see eggs so soon we are really lucky. Ill put a picture on tomorrow of the nest boxes, sorry i wasnt able to do it today.

I refilled the shavings but didnt fill the dents including the one in the middle that shes been using. If she wants to still use it i dont mind but wouldnt the nest box be more comfy?
Incidentally just after i shut them in yesterday i lifted the nest box lid to check they were all ok and the 3 white silkies where all crammed into one nestbox! Im not sure if thats just because they had got in though.

Are the perches meant to be higher than the nestboxes? They are only a tiny bit in my coop. My inlaws bought the coop for my birthday without me knowing and i am grateful for not having to pay for one, but i had been researching coops and would have bought one with different features.

Im learning something every day :)

Back
Top Bottom