Coming heat wave & 4 day old chicks

bec1687

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2015
hi, we've just had 5 chicks hatch with a broody hen & now we have a heat wave coming with temps expected from the high 30's to low 40's (95-111 or there abouts) for about half of next week. They won't even be a week old.
They're in a sectioned off area of our main chicken yard with their mumma that has roof over it and a tarp on the side that the sun comes in during the afternoon so they have shade but it's still going to be so hot!
Normally for my girls I run the hose for a few minutes multiple times a day when it's hot like that to make them muddy puddle cool spots but I'm not sure what to do with chicks.
Should I bring them & mummy hen inside & put them in our unused dog crate in our air conditioned house?

I wouldn't risk moving a broody with her brand new chicks. Stress can cause them to no longer want to raise chicks. If I were you I would make sure they have shade, and maybe a gentle fan, as well as cool, clean water. They should be ok.

I wouldn't free-range them during the heat-wave, that could cause the chicks to overheat if they are being too active. Mom's feathers will help keep them cool.

Example. My broody raised hers in 90-95°F days. Free range with rest of the flock. She took liking to a low bush she had plenty visibility out of and set up there for the day. The chicks LOVED it. They ran and did chick things without having to dive under momma to warm up. She’d march all of them over to the waterer to drink up every hour or so.

Back
Top Bottom