Coming here because I’m so confused.

Chandlerharris

Songster
Jan 17, 2021
And, I’m sorry, this is yet another respiratory post. I’m just so confused with all the info out there and thought if you guys, more educated than I, heard the other info you could help me. One day last week in the evening my husband brought in my favorite pullet because she was very lethargic, both eyes swollen shut and “gasping” for air. It seemed her death was near and It was later at night so I just wrapped her in a towel and she died a few hours later. I can’t tell you when symptoms started, etc as I’m sick and bound inside. My husband is tending to the flock mostly and well.. sorry guys but your attention to detail can be off sometimes. Lol. So fast forward to today and he brings another younger pullet in with swollen shut eyes but no obvious respiratory issues. I go out to see for myself since it seems whatever it is is spreading and I see two more pullets with similar symptoms. One with no swollen eyes but just “gasping”. Shaking its head occasionally. Another with no swollen eyes but I could hear it rattling when breathing from 10 feet away. I’ve quarantined them and given them colloidal silver and acv as that is all I have right now but confused as to what else to do now for these birds? I can send my husband to tractor supply when he’s off work but all I see in stock there isn’t much. Tylan “200” not 50. They do have the vetrx, too. I don’t want this killing my whole flock so any advice would be great. Thank you.

Last edited:
Several things can cause swollen eyelids in chickens, such as an insect sting, a peck or injury, or a respiratory sinus infection (mycoplasma gallisepticum or coryza.) Gasping and head shaking are also signs of respiratory disease. There is no cure for these chronic diseases, and they can be complicated by secondary infection or other respiratory diseases. Symptoms may improve with certain antibiotics. Tylan is one, and tetracyclines, Denagard, and Baytril are some of the drugs that treat MG. Coryza can be treated with sulfa antibiotics, such as bactrim or sulfadimethoxine. If using Tylan 200, I would give it orally, 0.1 ml for every 4 pounds of weight 3 times a day for 3-5 days. You can get tylosin powder online for pigeons at Jedds.com and sulfadimethoxine as well. It is called Medicox, and goes in water.

Do you notice a bad odor or thick secretions from the eyes? Are there bubbles visible in the eyes? Your state vet or local vet could help you get one sick bird tested to confirm which disease you are seeing. If it is a respiratory disease, it will remain in your flock until all of your birds are gone for a few weeks. Most close their flocks to any birds coming in or going out of the flock. Or some do cull their chickens and start over. If you lose one or decide to sacrifice a sick bird to get a necropsy by your state vet, that can also tell you what disease it is.

Several things can cause swollen eyelids in chickens, such as an insect sting, a peck or injury, or a respiratory sinus infection (mycoplasma gallisepticum or coryza.) Gasping and head shaking are also signs of respiratory disease. There is no cure for these chronic diseases, and they can be complicated by secondary infection or other respiratory diseases. Symptoms may improve with certain antibiotics. Tylan is one, and tetracyclines, Denagard, and Baytril are some of the drugs that treat MG. Coryza can be treated with sulfa antibiotics, such as bactrim or sulfadimethoxine. If using Tylan 200, I would give it orally, 0.1 ml for every 4 pounds of weight 3 times a day for 3-5 days. You can get tylosin powder online for pigeons at Jedds.com and sulfadimethoxine as well. It is called Medicox, and goes in water.

Do you notice a bad odor or thick secretions from the eyes? Are there bubbles visible in the eyes? Your state vet or local vet could help you get one sick bird tested to confirm which disease you are seeing. If it is a respiratory disease, it will remain in your flock until all of your birds are gone for a few weeks. Most close their flocks to any birds coming in or going out of the flock. Or some do cull their chickens and start over. If you lose one or decide to sacrifice a sick bird to get a necropsy by your state vet, that can also tell you what disease it is.
Ive not noticed any discharge coming from eyes or nose with any of them. Or eye bubbles. So this will kill my whole flock? Is that what you mean by “gone”?

It might kill some, but many may live and be less thrifty or not lay as well. Symptoms can come and go. If I were you though, I would try to get one tested or a necropsy done, since it could be something else completely. They might be getting stung by something or fetting pecked around their eyes.

Have you added any new birds in recent weeks that might have been a carrier? Are there a lot of wild birds feeding near your chickens? Make sure that you have very good air circulation inside your coop, or make more ventilation. Here is a discussion of how respiratory diseases can affect a flock:
https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/respiratory-disease-chickens/

It might kill some, but many may live and be less thrifty or not lay as well. Symptoms can come and go. If I were you though, I would try to get one tested or a necropsy done, since it could be something else completely. They might be getting stung by something or fetting pecked around their eyes.

Have you added any new birds in recent weeks that might have been a carrier? Are there a lot of wild birds feeding near your chickens? Make sure that you have very good air circulation inside your coop, or make more ventilation. Here is a discussion of how respiratory diseases can affect a flock:
https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/respiratory-disease-chickens/
I’m assuming the one I found gasping today won’t make it past tonight. Would you recommend a necropsy before I go and buy medication?

yes, I added 5 teenagers about 2.5 weeks ago 😭 it is also possible they’re getting stung. We have lots of bees and wasps on the property.. but would that account for the gasping? I want to go out there and look down the worst ones throat to see if I can see gapeworm? Ventilation in our coop is great, probably not the issue.

Gapeworm is one of the most rare worms. Respiratory diseases are common in backyard flocks because people may add new birds from multiple sources. A necropsy is the best way to know what was going on. But you could start the antibiotic and also observe behavior. Game cameras are a good way to find out if something is going on. Permethrin spray inside the coop will last about 30 days to kill bees, flies, and mites. Let it dry for an hour before putting the chickens back inside.

Gapeworm is one of the most rare worms. Respiratory diseases are common in backyard flocks because people may add new birds from multiple sources. A necropsy is the best way to know what was going on. But you could start the antibiotic and also observe behavior. Game cameras are a good way to find out if something is going on. Permethrin spray inside the coop will last about 30 days to kill bees, flies, and mites. Let it dry for an hour before putting the chickens back inside.
I got the tylan and have been doing that and sent the bird that died this morning off today! Thanks.

@Eggcessive have already given all informations you need (and she helped me a lot when i was in trouble with a similar problem). So i only wanted to tell you that i passed trough this (and loooots of other members): lost two chickens for a respiratory disease and know how it feels. But now (crossing fingers every single day:fl) things are more calm and my chickens are pretty okay. So i wanted to give you a hug and please keep hope :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

@Eggcessive have already given all informations you need (and she helped me a lot when i was in trouble with a similar problem). So i only wanted to tell you that i passed trough this (and loooots of other members): lost two chickens for a respiratory disease and know how it feels. But now (crossing fingers every single day:fl) things are more calm and my chickens are pretty okay. So i wanted to give you a hug and please keep hope :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs
Thank you 😭😭😭 I am feeling so incredibly overwhelmed with this and my small children and my current pregnancy. So thank you for saying that! Trying to keep my head up but I feel like my luck with my chickens has not been great this year.. Glad things are smooth for you right now. 💓

Back
Top Bottom