Coming in late almost hatched-along..

Bama-chicks

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Alabama
Just discovered this board in the forums so we're already starting to hatch our first time.

29 guinea eggs
9 mystery chicken eggs
All were given to us by a family friend

20220428_102434.jpg

Guineas were incubated 4/28
Chickens were added 5/5
Egg turner was removed 5/23
I heard peeping last night and saw one of the chicken eggs had broken a little hole!

Any suggestions are appreciated.. I didn't do any of the "candling" or anything. I wasn't aware of that process.

We are hoping to keep all of the guineas for our land and not sure what to expect from the chickens hatching.

Make sure you have a good humidity of about 55%, Temperature of about 99. F or 37.4 C Don't open the incubator until all have hatched or at least 24 hrs, make sure there's a brooder ready, ( Heating area, water, bedding and you an later add food since they don't need it for almost 2 days after hatching. ) After you think they're done hatching, heck for any eggs that are infertile or passed by candling. Because they're two different kinds of poultry, you want to be careful with lock down with the chickens. Chickens take around 21 days to hatch while Guinea's take closer to 28 days. Be careful with locking down early so you don't harm the developing process of the Guineas, though it shouldn't be fatal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some links you can click and read:
* Baby Chick Basics. What you need to know to get started.
* Raising Chickens 101: How to Raise Baby Chickens - The Old ...
* Care and incubation of hatching eggs | The Poultry Site
* Artificial incubation of Guinea fowl eggs. - Cluckin
* 21-Day Guide to Hatching Eggs | Purina Animal Nutrition
* Candling Eggs: The Ultimate Guide - Poultry Keeper
* Build a Brooder for Baby Chicks - The Spruce
* How to... - Identify Infertile Eggs and Early Deads - Aviagen

Last edited:
That chicken has already hatched since posting. I did delay putting the chicken eggs in for 7 days so that they'd hatch at same time.
We have our brooder box ready.
Only issue with locking down is that I can't add water to the incubator to keep humidity up without cracking it open.

20220526_095932.jpg

We lost one of the guineas overnight that had a pip. The other one has hatched but I had to help it, the membrane was stuck to it.

We haven't had anymore hatching or pips. I candled them just now and weeded out the empty ones, but the remaining ones I think are dead..
Any suggestions on what happened or what I can do differently to get better hatches? We definitely hoped for more guineas than one and now need to figure out how to get more for that one.

Back
Top Bottom