Commercial Feed vs. Homemade Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leasmom1013

Songster
May 6, 2020
I used to be on this website quite a bit when I had chickens twelve years ago. Everything about raising chickens has changed like fodder and fermenting feed.
I had access to a feed store back then, something I don’t have now. Nor do I have a car. My daughter works six days a week. I babysit my granddaughter at my home three days a week in one state and her father and paternal grandfather watches her three days a week in the other state. I can’t expect my daughter to pick up feed for me across the state line when she’s so busy. That’s where the nearest store is. So I would have to have feed delivered which raises the cost for me. I used to buy the typical feeds but would mix in store bought oats and bird seed which has the black oil seeds, cracked corn, milo and millet. I gave them kitchen scraps as well. I had about sixty chickens back then and only one chicken died on me. I started selling eggs. My egg shells were thick and the eggs were a deep orange. The hens were healthy and happy and disease free. I sold them when I moved out of state back then.
So I’m planning on getting less than six chickens in 2021. I need to find a feed that doesn’t cost much and that I could supplement with store bought additions like oats, lentils, split peas and toss in meal worms. So, I’ve been re-educating myself about Chicken care but I happen upon two different theories. One that chicks and hens must have commercially made feed vs. scratch, fodder and fermented feeds. So many people feel that a mash or pellet is a necessity even though chickens never had this until recently. Another is that scratch is like junk food even though this is some of the foods that chickens ate before commercially made feeds. Fodder and Fermenting are ways of stretching feed. I saw a YouTube video where someone took scratch and grinded up to make a chicken starter. I was thinking, that’s no different than what chicken starter is. But we’re often told that you must buy your feed? But why?
I’m not going to have free range chickens or run in a chicken tractor because I’m disabled and unable to physically move a tractor around. I’m going to have a fixed coop. What I want is a feed recipe that I can afford so it isn’t a high cost like it was previously. I intend to soak the scratch (with less corn and mostly other ingredients in it) overnight to bulk up the feed. Not necessarily fermenting. But I’m planning on adding split peas, oats, and food scraps and garden waste. And possibly adding Apple cider vinegar to their water. In other countries, they too just make their own feed out of whole grains. If worms and bugs are added and I can also make fodder to help. Why isn’t that considered a good feed for them? This is what I’m learning towards.

Last edited:
SCRATCH IS NOT CHICKEN FEED. CHICKEN FEED IS NOT SCRATCH. You can not give scratch as a primary feed source for chickens. Chicken feed generally consists of healthy grain, plant based protein, and other products such as minerals and vitamins and other things. Scratch is just candy for chickens and has little to no nutritional value. I recommend you order chicken feed off chewy.com.

Scratch is not chicken food. It is mostly fat and has zero nutritional value for the chicken. That person on YT who grounded up scratch to make chick food was not making a nutritionally sound food at all. Scratch is a treat, and treats should only make up 10% of the diet.

Chickens do not have to eat commercial food, but they need a balanced diet, which commercial food provides. Commercial feed is the easiest, most accessible way to get a balanced diet for a chicken for most people. If someone wants to make their own food, they absolutely can, but it should provide a good diet for the chicken (scratch is not good for them, and should not be included as part of the main food).

Currently my flock eats a whole grain food, and it does provide them with good nutrition, so it is definitely possible to feed your chickens without buying processed feed. A few members on BYC make their own food. @Flockincrazy has a good recipe for homemade chicken food here.

Fermenting is a good way to add protein and make the food last longer. Some people even do it to commercial feed. I ferment food for my broilers because of the benefits and to save food. I don't know much about fodder, but it sounds like a good way to provide healthy greens for the chickens.

I intend to soak the scratch (with less corn and mostly other ingredients in it) overnight to bulk up the feed. Not necessarily fermenting. But I’m planning on adding split peas, oats, and food scraps and garden waste. And possibly adding Apple cider vinegar to their water. In other countries, they too just make their own feed out of whole grains. If worms and bugs are added and I can also make fodder to help. Why isn’t that considered a good feed for them? This is what I’m learning towards.
This sounds like a pretty good food for your chickens, as long as the scratch without added ingredients is limited to 10% of the food. Yes on the apple cider vineger too, because provides some vitamins that are good for the chickens. If your food provides good nutrition to your chickens, there is no reason for it not to be a good feed.

I’ve watched more videos than I want to admit about people who use whole grains and scratch to feed their chickens. Feed is basically the same grains as scratch made into pellets or mash. Why spend $30 on feed plus whatever it’ll cost for shipping when it’s the same exact ingredients? I understand the need for protein being over 16% but there’s other ways of achieving that. Split peas have 48 g’s of Protein. Milo has 13 g’s. Oats has 11 g’s. There’s mealworms that could be added as well.

I understand people get highly divided when people don’t follow the rules, but there’s a lot of people who are choosing to make their own feed. There’s homesteaders who prefer this to commercial feeds.

Scratch is not chicken food. It is mostly fat and has zero nutritional value for the chicken. That person on YT who grounded up scratch to make chick food was not making a nutritionally sound food at all. Scratch is a treat, and treats should only make up 10% of the diet. As far as vitamins. There’s vitamins for chickens that could be bought as well.

Chickens do not have to eat commercial food, but they need a balanced diet, which commercial food provides. Commercial feed is the easiest, most accessible way to get a balanced diet for a chicken for most people. If someone wants to make their own food, they absolutely can, but it should provide a good diet for the chicken (scratch is not good for them, and should not be included as part of the main food).

Currently my flock eats a whole grain food, and it does provide them with good nutrition, so it is definitely possible to feed your chickens without buying processed feed. A few members on BYC make their own food. @Flockincrazy has a good recipe for homemade chicken food here.

Fermenting is a good way to add protein and make the food last longer. Some people even do it to commercial feed. I ferment food for my broilers because of the benefits and to save food. I don't know much about fodder, but it sounds like a good way to provide healthy greens for the chickens.

This sounds like a pretty good food for your chickens, as long as the scratch without added ingredients is limited to 10% of the food. Yes on the apple cider vineger too, because provides some vitamins that are good for the chickens. If your food provides good nutrition to your chickens, there is no reason for it not to be a good feed.

Previously I used a wild bird seed mix which had black Oil sunflower seeds, milo and corn mixed in with the crumbles or pellets. I added oats as well. I fed them that daily. They were extremely healthy and gave me lots of eggs. I lost just one chicken out of the flock of 60. My thought is to use ingredients I can grind up into feed until their older. And then to soak the grains overnight to feed them. I just watched a bunch of videos a few minutes ago so my thoughts are a little disjointed but like them, I would be feeding these grains as feed and not as a snack. Barley. Oats, peas, Sunflower seeds, milo, millet as the grains. And mealworms for added protein and as a snack. And giving grit.

Last edited:
You are not wrong! :) I think fodder & fermented feed are still popular, as there are always threads popping up on those topics. A lot of folks are more interested in whole grain diets - Scratch & Peck Feeds seems to be quite popular right now, and their organic layer feed is running $24.49, for a 10 pound bag! And that stuff looks like scratch to me - but it's wheat, barley, peas, etc. There are lots of ways to do this. :highfive:

You are not wrong! :) I think fodder & fermented feed are still popular, as there are always threads popping up on those topics. A lot of folks are more interested in whole grain diets - Scratch & Peck Feeds seems to be quite popular right now, and their organic layer feed is running $24.49, for a 10 pound bag! And that stuff looks like scratch to me - but it's wheat, barley, peas, etc. There are lots of ways to do this. :highfive:

Thank you.

Previously I used a wild bird seed mix which had black Oil sunflower seeds, milo and corn mixed in with the crumbles or pellets. I added oats as well. I fed them that daily. They were extremely healthy and gave me lots of eggs. I lost just one chicken out of the flock of 60. My thought is to use ingredients I can grind up into feed until their older. And then to soak the grains overnight to feed them. I just watched a bunch of videos a few minutes ago so my thoughts are a little disjointed but like them, I would be feeding these grains as feed and not as a snack. Barley. Oats, peas, Sunflower seeds, milo, millet as the grains. And mealworms for added protein and as a snack. And giving grit.
Sounds like a great food for them! I'm not a nutrition expert or anything like that, but the food I feed them is pretty similar and my chickens are healthy and lay good eggs. It also ferments well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom