Commercial freezer = Incubator????

crj

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Rocky Point, NC
Hello,
I'm looking for someone that has experience with building incubators. I have a post about rebuilding an incubator at the moment but figured I'd post this for opinions.

I have an old commercial freezer that I plan on selling or scrapping. It's over 10 yrs old. It worked but needed a thermostat. It's stainless steal and was wondering if it would be worth making an incubator out of it. It's something that would have to stay outside though. It's rather large. What is anyones thought on this. I'll sell it or part it and scrap the metal otherwise.

45848_12-30-2011cl_4.jpg

I love it. I wouldn't keep it outside though. I would make an incubator out of it, and keep it in the basement, or polish it up a bit, and put it out somewhere in the house. I don't think you should scrap it, but if you can't keep it inside as a homemade incubator, I would sell it to someone who would want to bring some life back into it.

Quote:
It's too big to put in a house and here in NC we have no basements. We hit water here........ lol. If I were to make an incubator out of it would I have to find a way to put in a glass door?

Quote:
It's too big to put in a house and here in NC we have no basements. We hit water here........ lol. If I were to make an incubator out of it would I have to find a way to put in a glass door?

You wouldn't have to.. but i would make it really tense on hatch day if you couldn't see what's going on, so I'd certainly put glass in the door, or a camera inside
smile.png

glass in the door would be pretty easy... drill a hole, use a sawzall or juzsaw to cut out a hole in the door.. then get a piece of glass cut slightly bigger than the hole you cut, put a bead of silicon all the way around your hole (on the front side of the door) and put the glass on top of the silicon...

this would be super easy if you had the freezer laying on it's back... but if you had to do it upright have someone hold he glass (or plexi, or acrylic) in place and strap the whole thing in place with those ratcheting Tie downs until the silicon cures

Quote:

You wouldn't have to.. but i would make it really tense on hatch day if you couldn't see what's going on, so I'd certainly put glass in the door, or a camera inside
smile.png

glass in the door would be pretty easy... drill a hole, use a sawzall or juzsaw to cut out a hole in the door.. then get a piece of glass cut slightly bigger than the hole you cut, put a bead of silicon all the way around your hole (on the front side of the door) and put the glass on top of the silicon...

this would be super easy if you had the freezer laying on it's back... but if you had to do it upright have someone hold he glass (or plexi, or acrylic) in place and strap the whole thing in place with those ratcheting Tie downs until the silicon cures

Definitely something to think about. I could probably lay the freezer down.

Yeah it's nice one, keep it a freezer or a cold smoker would be way cool.

I don't have a smoker, nor do I need one. I would keep it as a freezer and keep it in the garage. I don't think it will do very well as an incubator outside though. You never know when you will need an extra freezer, I would keep it in case of the end of the world. You would have lots of business selling frozen burritos. HA HA HA
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom