Committed Broody Brahma

Bergiejo

Chirping
Jul 13, 2022
Southern Minnesota
In the past when I have had a hen become broody I'm able to break it by putting her in wire kennel for a few days and she usually snaps out of it or maybe another quick time out will break her broodiness. However, this time around I'm currently dealing with a Brahma and she's definitely putting up a good fight. I swear she's been in and out of the wired kennel for the past couple of months. I have the kennel off the coop floor ensuring that there is plenty of airflow, but after a few days in the kennel, she's back to the nesting boxes that day and fluffing up and squawking at me when I grab the eggs from under her. I worry I'll exhausted her because she's bound and determined to hatch some babies.

Just wanted to see what my fellow chicken people thought about this and if I should give her some eggs to hatch or not at this point. 🤷‍♀️ I just received 13 chicks a week ago from a hatchery in my area. So I'm not sure I could handle more than 2 to 4 more chicks at this time with the amount of space I have with my existing 16 ladies & rooster.

I appreciate any advice or suggestions for this Lady Brahma. Thanks in advance! ☮️🐔

I just received 13 chicks a week ago from a hatchery in my area. So I'm not sure I could handle more than 2 to 4 more chicks at this time with the amount of space I have with my existing 16 ladies & rooster.
These 2 thing do not compute?

It's a shame you did not give her some or all of those 13 to raise when you first got them. That way she would either be raising the chicks or if you take them away after a week or so that should break her current broodiness. I'd still try that with a few of those chicks. Some hens will adopt older chicks like that.

I'd be uncomfortable giving her eggs if she has been broody for two months. They store up fat before they go broody. That fat is mostly what they live off of when broody so they can stay on the nest instead of being out looking for food and water.

Would you consider getting a few chicks from that hatchery to give to her with the thought of selling them in a few weeks?

Would you consider selling her as a hen that has gone broody. She would probably break from being broody when she is relocated but one that committed has an excellent chance of going broody again.

Other than that I think I'd keep trying to break her.

I would try this, grab a handful of those chick 3-4, at dark, sprinkle them with a little water, let them get a little chilled. They should be peeping madly, a little ways away from the coop, close enough she can hear them keep them just barely,. Wait 5 minutes. Then in complete dark, stick those cold chicks under her.

They should burrow into that warm spot tight as a tick. Leave her be and cross your fingers. I almost always give my broodies chicks or eggs, young birds are easy to sell.

Mrs K

Last edited:
I would try this, grab a handful of those chick 3-4, at dark, sprinkle them with a little water, let them get a little chilled. They should be peeping madly, a little ways away from the coop, close enough she can hear them keep them just barely,. Wait 5 minutes. Then in complete dark, stick those cold chicks under her.

They should burrow into that warm spot tight as a tick. Leave her be and cross your fingers. I almost always give my broodies chicks or eggs, young birds are easy to sell.

Mrs K
Thanks for your suggestion. I let her out today to just see if the 10th time (I'm being dramatic) she would be ready to return to the flock, but just checked on them and she's in a nesting box and gets all broody when I reach for the eggs. If I try your idea this evening, should I put Ms. Broody Brahma with the chicks in a maternity ward like kennel with a nesting box, waterer and chick starter feed? And should I keep them in the coop with the kennel or in a different area? And for how long should they all be together?

I wish I would have researched this more before getting the 13 chicks last Tuesday because maybe she would have taken to them for sure like you mentioned Ridgerunner. Or like LizzzyJo also mentioned letting her hatch some...again appreciate all of your suggestions and advice. Just hate to make mistakes and understand at the same time they are valuable lessons learned! 😉
These 2 thing do not compute?
In my existing flock I have 15 hens & 1 rooster, and I just got 13 chicks last Tuesday...my coop is not big enough for more than 30 chickens when they will all be together. I just didn't want to add additional chicks to my flock if I end up having her hatch more than 4 chicks...just didn't want to stress over the additional chickens if I wasn't able to sell them. 🤷‍♀️

**update**

I let Ms. Broody Brahma sit on some eggs, but none of them were fertile. I double checked again last night at day 17 and nothing was seen while candling. 😞
Wondering at this point if I should gather more eggs and hope they are fertile. But is it healthy for her to be sitting on eggs for another 17-21 days? Or get a few chicks from our tractor supply store near by and attempt to have her adopt them. My other chicks I feel are too old at this point for her to adopt them since they are almost 4 weeks old. 🤷‍♀️
Again, still a novice at this chicken raising life and hate to make her suffer for too much longer in her attempt at having some baby chicks. 😞
Thanks and have a great 4th of July 🇺🇸

Get her a couple of live day old chicks. See above advice how to give them to her.

The thing about giving her eggs now, is she could very well sit another 21 days and still not get chicks and still be broody. Or she might naturally break half way through. Live chicks would be best.

Mrs K
Thanks Mrs. K! I will get some chicks and give it a try. Also just wondering should I keep the chicks and Ms. Broody Brahma in a separate area within my coop and if so for how long?

I never separate mine, I put them in at dark, and the next morning, I let the broody decide what to do. I think it is important for them to be in the flock.

If you do separate them, only do it for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom