Common chicken pet mistakes?

First welcome to the forum.
Biggest mistake I made? Getting chicks before their coop was finished. Not a good idea, unless you like chickens living on your screened porch. Me? I'm getting used to it.
he.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
Agreed!!

I got 10 3 week old chicks with no coop built.

I could have probably saved a lot of money with recycled materials etc, if I had built the coop and run before I got the chicks.

IMO, one of the biggest mistakes that people make is not making their coop/run predator proof. I got two hens a while back before I found this forum, and they lasted exactly 6 days before the raccoons got them. I had spent that six days building them a little coop, but it wasn't quite finished and they got in through the unsecured roof. I never imagined that this would happen to Edwina and Nelly. In reading this forum, it seems that A LOT of people suffer similar losses for various reasons. My next coop/run will be like Fort Knox.

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with these. The enablers here "forced" me to get 2 friends for my Cornish X who WAS meant for meat however is living a good life with us now.
wink.png
yippiechickie.gif
I am now totally addicted and I love it.
love.gif
I'd get more if I didn't already have 3 and the city only allows 2.

elderoo has a point ~ I am a warm/fuzzy type who owns a Cornish X for a pet and 2 Browns who started out as livestock (eggs) but have worked their way into my heart. You have to decide what you're getting chicks for right up front. For ME, our Cornish is a wonderful pet, she's becoming more attached to us each day and does a great job with the weeds and bugs. Others may feel otherwise. Our browns are fun and will be a source of food for us which is a bonus. I am one who can deal with eating the eggs from what I raise but I can't eat the actual animal I'm raising.

Yeah make sure you have a coop built before you get the chicks. Our chicks lived their first 8 weeks in the bathroom of my 4th floor apartment.

On the bright side, they are very friendly from being handled so much!

My 7 week-old Australorp, Betsy, falls asleep in my arms at night. She is an amazing pet who very clearly enjoys being petted like a dog or cat. And when she poops on my shirt...I change it. I think they are great pets, but am now worried that my run is not big enough after reading Elderoo's sage advice. I'm new to this chicken thing too, but I love my girls!

1. Build a good, solid coop and run. Draft free...no leaks (our mistake).

2. Research the breed. If you need a winter hardy chicken, don't get a Sebright bantam. If you have kids, research which breeds are gentle. If you are wanting eggs, research which breeds are good egg layers, etc. etc. THIS WAS OUR BIGGEST MISTAKE! My boys chose a breed that was "pretty". I had no idea there were so many different types and temperaments.

My two are definitely pets ..they are in the house more than not (in diapers, t'boot!) ...and my biggest mistake has been handfeeding them treats. They both associate my hands with food now and I often get pecked pretty aggressively.

I started a thread the other day and got some great advice.. "When chickens attack.. "

I am already starting the reform of my two pets!
tongue.png

Good luck with your new addiction!

Welcome to BYC

Definitely make sure you build your coop twice the size you think you are going to need because, a few chickens is never enough.

We started with 4 show birds for my son's 4-H project. We now have 8 show birds, 5 hens and 1 rooster and 17 chicks. They have quickly outgrown the enclosed stable they are in, so we have added a run for them.

Bantams are great. We have 2 banty RIR hens and 1 rooster. All of the showbirds are bantams, easier for my son to handle. The RIR hens are definitely at the top of the pecking order and put my standard hens in their places.

Have fun and good luck!!!

Angie

Back
Top Bottom