Common core chicken math?

Chickengene

Songster
Feb 21, 2019
East TN
Bad week for chicken math. Lost two more birds this week.
One was a very sweet very old lady named Goldie. Can't say it wasn't expected exactly. But I guess your never really ready. She just roosted under my chair when I sat down for a lunch break. Bout an hour later I noticed she was dead. Had her head tucked under her wing.
The other was one, today or last night was one of my pulletts. I should probably say, my wife's pullet. She picked her out because she was the most friendly and seemed to enjoy climbing in the wife's lap and being fondled.
Totally my fault, I may never live it down.
I can only hope and pray that her sister grows to be as friendly and lovable.
I went out last evening to close the coop and completely forgot to close up the other coop where the youngsters are kept.
Wife noticed all the babies in the yard around 5:15 this morning. She normally lets them out after 7:am so she can sit with them for 10 or 15 minutes before leaving for work.
I found a few feathers then more around the garage, then an even bigger pile beside the garage near the pasture. No kill site so I am guessing the fox my neighbor saw on the far side of the pasture finally made it over to my place.
Two mistakes on my part. I should have double checked both doors, and I should have shot all the foxes when he asked me to.
Although I dislike killing anything that I don't eat or have other use for, I will admit that pain and fatigue are the main elements in both of my mistakes.

Don’t feel bad, we all have to learn common core before we got it down right. Think of it as a learning experience, and an opening spot for new hens, lol
Rest assured the better half will make sure I learn from it.lol
That was two of her babies, so to speak.
I will not be buying anymore chicks though. Unless something drastic happens.
So hopefully Rodger will begin to man up in a few more weeks and take care of the three remaining pullets.
Or maybe the three older ladies.

So hopefully Rodger will begin to man up in a few more weeks and take care of the three remaining pullets.
Is Rodger the cock/erel?
I hope you don't expect him to protect the girls from a fox?
Good secure run the best defense...had a red fox bounce off my run wall the other day.
Just like this one in May 2017:
full

Is Rodger the cock/erel?
I hope you don't expect him to protect the girls from a fox?
Good secure run the best defense...had a red fox bounce off my run wall the other day.
Just like this one in May 2017:
full
[/QUOTE
No I just need him to help replace the three hens we lost. Especially another BO for my wife.
My birds have been free rsngirafor maybe two years now with no fence. Only had a predatory kill once and that was probably at night.
Stupid mistake on my part.
Thinking about leaving the dog outside at night now. At least he can bark and wake the wife up.

Not long ago I lost some birds to a fox. First time in a number of years. One was my fault because I left for a few minutes and when I went to look for and called my Gladys, she didn't come running so I knew something was amiss. I didn't find her body but did find piles of feathers and have a fox on a game camera. It came during the middle of the day. I've beaten myself up for not putting her in her pen while I wasn't there. If only...

Back
Top Bottom