1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

community nest box for 25 hens, should i add another?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stevin, Dec 9, 2010.

1. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    currently i have 25 hens, not all are laying, maybe half.....
    i have a community nest box which is 16" high x 16" deep x 4' wide, originally built for 10 hens.
    why didn't anyone tell me that chickens were so darn addictive!!!!!!!

sooner or later most if not all the hens will be laying. will this nest box be big enough for all 25 hens.
    should i build another one? the reason i'm asking is on a couple of occasions i've found 1-2 eggs out on the coop floor & once on the poop board. no big deal....
    yesterday i found only 4 eggs in the nest box and 6 eggs all in the same back corner of the coop floor.
    is this enough reason for concern?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, it'd be a good idea. Especially since you're getting floor eggs already.

If you can put the new box in the corner of the coop where you found the floor eggs yesterday that might kill 2 birds with one stone, if the location is suitable [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    1 nest box cover 4 birds so 25 birds need to have at 4 nest boxes lol

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Sounds like u need to put some dividers in that 4ft nest. It really only needs to be 12x12. They like it cozy & dark and need some privacy..hence the corner. This would allow more than one hen up there at a time in case one decides to go broody too.

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Yes, I would add more nest boxes!!

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Previous posters should note that this is a COMMUNITY nestbox, hence the dimensions and only one for the original ten hens. It's a perfectly valid design, just maybe different than what many are used to [​IMG]

Pat

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    SOME hens prefer privacy -- others prefer to climb on top of one another. Or such is my experience.

I have three standard open front nests on top of two, another floor bin with an open top, and two more spots where I left a scrap of OSB maybe 16"x18" leaning on the wall and they laid under it. Used to have an open top cardboard box on the floor that they loved.

What's interesting is they switch around. Found 3 eggs in a lower, wider nest a few days ago, and no one had used that nest for a couple of months prior. The open top bin is currently in use by the mama with chicks, but my SS like it. Not getting any SS eggs right now but they're molting. Wonder where I'd find them if they weren't.

Used to have a community nest box, about 3' wide. Some preferred it, some laid on the floor, hence the cardboard box. Not a big believer in spending money on nests; they're too fickle.

I'd definitely be putting a box where they laid on the floor -- or just pad it well with hay or whatever, if it's a corner. I've done that, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by