Compacted Crop, is there hope for survival?

KVKC Ranch

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 21, 2012
I have a young hen who has a compacted crop. It is large, solid and hen has lost a tremendouse amount of weight. I have followed recomendations from on line articles and seperated her, given her olive oil, massaged the crop, drained the crop as best as we could. My question is, what are the chances this hen will survive? My wife is hopeful. She is drinking, still eating (crumbles soaked in water and olive oil), and pooping. Going on 6 days now, but still has a large solid crop.

Oh no! I do know some BYC'ers will preform a crop surgery. I am not aware how it's done, nor could I cut into my own chicken.

Are you sure it's an impacted crop and not sour crop? My dark brahma gets sour crop all the time. I massage her crop gently leaning her forward and she vomits all the nasty smelly pukey greenish brown contents. I do this a little at a time. They can aspirate easily. I give her antibiotics and probiotics. I keep both products in the freezer to last longer. Sour crop is an enlarged crop that is squishy. I'm assuming impacted crop is hard.

Good luck. It sounds like your doing everything right.

Massage it to break down the mass, and olive oil, and lots of fluids.
Try to limit solid foods. Do you have any idea what caused this?
Lots of times it is wood chips, or tall grasses or hay.
I am worried that if left too long, it could stretch the muscles out so much that it may not shrink back to normal if it ever empties.
If you can, try to empty it as you have been doing.
Just be careful that she doesn't choke on it.
Forcing her to drink, or even inserting a tube down her throat and using a syringe, you may be able to flush some out.

Good luck, and
welcome-byc.gif

The mass in her crop is hard. We let the birds out in the tall grass, so I am thinking that is what caused it (such a newbie). Been pouring the oil down her, but I think I will try a large quantity of water to see if that helps. We are limiting her food and she has an area to walk around in with plenty of water. Hopefully this will work. Is it recommended to perhaps fill her crop with water then try to break up the mass and push it up and out of her mouth?

Yes, you can try that. But keep in mind that mess will look like a tangled ball of yard, or the blob of hair in the drain.
Very difficult to break up. And the longer it stays in there, the more of a risk that it will start to ferment/ rot, causing sour crop.

Good News. She seems to have finally passed the blockage. It took a lot of oil and massaging to do it. The Vet recommended some antibiotics in her water to help with the inflamation. She is back with the flock now and gaining weight. Thank you all for the advice and good wishes.

Back
Top Bottom