Compare the size of a SILKIE for me

DouglasPeeps

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Colorado
My children think that silkies are adorable. So my question is......Can you please compare their size? I have heavy breeds - RIR, BO, SLW, etc. Can Silkies be mixed in with these breeds, or would they need their own coop?

I have a friend that has a flock of about 10-12 birds. Most are LF, but she has 3 silkies that fit right in. They are definitely smaller than the big birds, but larger than a bantam. Somewhere in between! I hope this helps!

I have two EE's in my flock. They are significantly smaller than my other hens. I just want to be sure that a Silkie wouldn't be too small. Would I have to worry about my rooster with them? Not sure if this is a No, No, or not.

I have 4 silkies and 2 frizzles in the pen with my BO, RIR, BA, and EE's. They all get along just fine and the big birds seem to leave the little ones alone.

Quote:
Thanks! duh! (saying that to self!)
hmm.png

LF= Large fowl

We have American Game fowl and when our little silkies come out they rule the yard. The big birds share their food and their nests with them. One even lays her eggs in one of our roos nests. Keep in mind that if a little Game chick comes up for some food they get chased away, sometimes buy their own fathers! Those silkies could get away with murder and everyone would look the other way! They do have thier own coop though that they share with my little Old English Bantams.

Back
Top Bottom